Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is this normal for a newborn or is he sick!??

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:51 PM
  • 4 Replies
So my son is 13 days old today. He has been fine up until last night other then he wants to eat ALL the time. I mean he will eat 2oz then 30-60 min later want to eat again. Last night he had me up all night and was fussy which I thought to myself "he's a newborn and these fussy nights are normal" well today at 1pm he puked. I don't mean spit up... he puked a good 1-2oz up. And was limp...almost like he was lifeless which scared the sh*t out of me. He was breathing just limp and not moving. I yelled for my SO who picked him up and was talkin to him and after about 2 min he was back to himself moving his hands and feet. I checked his temp in his arm pit and it was at 98.1 and I add 1° as Dr told me to so that's 99.1. I was still freaked out by how he acted after puking but SO said that it was probably just from him puking because just like when u or I puke it takes a lot out of you. Which makes since so I just kept a close eye on him and how much he was eating. He slept for a few hrs then wanted Fed so I gave him 2oz and burped him then he slept another few hrs and took another 2oz. Everything was going smooth until about 8pm. He had a somewhat runny poo but not to bad. Then ate 1oz at 8:30 then another 1oz at 9...then puked again :'( checked his temp again and it was still 99.1 (mind you that he gets hot easy so maybe that's normal for him? Idk) I waited 20 min did a diaper change and checked his temp again and it said 99.7... now he's asleep in his swing and I'm worried sick. Maybe for nothing... but I can't help but worry that my 13 day old baby seems to be sick and I don't know what to.do other then call his Dr first thing in the morning... anyone here know what could be causing this? Is it normal for newborns? Any advise to help him feel better or rule out any possibilities??? Thanks in advance for any ideas...
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
strictmomhere
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:58 PM
Him being so young try to get him in to his pedi does your pedi have a 24/7 nurse line I would and ask questions is he your first i have 4 boo kids and did this my my mow 9 year old puked really bad at 8 months he ended up in the hospital with RSV good luck hugs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:59 PM

First off congrats on the new baby.  I am a firm believer thast you don't take chances with a very small baby and their health.  I would most definitely take him to the doctor to be checked out.  Do you have a small thermometer where you can take his temp rectally?  Under the arm of a newborn isn't too accurate and I would't really trust it.  If your thermometer is small I would take the temp rectally and then decide from there if you should call the doctor toight or can wait until the morning. 

GwenMB
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:11 AM

I'd call a nurse line.  I can't remember what the age cutoff is, but under a certain age, you need to call them about any fever.  At just 13 days, I'd be safe & call.

emmy526
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 7:48 AM

milk based formula did that to my dd too...throwing up, screaming, crying, obvious intestinal distress...call the dr to be safe

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)