Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

For Unschoolers On UnBedtimes and Un Wake Up Times

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:54 PM
  • 45 Replies
I am sure most of us unschoolers are familiar with the concept of no bedtime. It has worked extremely well in our house over the last 5 years. But what I want to know is how many of you let your kids wake up when they want? How well does that work? Does it clash with needing to do things in the morning. (We try not to schedule anything until after lunch.) I imagine it might work, just like no bedtime. But at the same time I know how hard it is for me to wake up, even when I am not still tired. I could sleep until after noon every day just because I am comfy. I don't care how late DD stays up, but I DO care how late she sleeps regularly. I'd like her to get in a natural rhythm. Currently she falls asleep around 11 and midnight and I wake her up between 8 and 9 but I'm not sure that is enough sleep for her. She acts tired, but I don't know how much is enough for her body.
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
carolina_gal
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Hmm, interesting concept. Would NEVER work in this family.

Mrs.Godfrey
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

for my sanity... i must send them to bed at some point... im no help here XD

MommyMays
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:20 AM

lol I have had several friends tell me the same thing. DD knows that when it gets late she needs to find things to do quietly. (We do have the house quiet around 10.) I get to take my bath and read for my sanity, so she generally gives me my time.

Quoting Mrs.Godfrey:

-PB
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:23 AM

I'm not an unschooler or an unbedtimer but most days I let dd (4 years old) sleep until whenever.  She goes to preschool 3 days a week and those days I do wake her but the other 4 days she just gets up when she gets up which is usually between 8 and 9.  But we do have a set bedtime of 8:30 though.  How old is your dd?

MommyMays
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Okay. Seems like 12 hours is about what most kids sleep. My DD is almost 6. :)

Quoting -PB:

I'm not an unschooler or an unbedtimer but most days I let dd (4 years old) sleep until whenever.  She goes to preschool 3 days a week and those days I do wake her but the other 4 days she just gets up when she gets up which is usually between 8 and 9.  But we do have a set bedtime of 8:30 though.  How old is your dd?

Mrs.Godfrey
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:37 AM

my three children spend there day bickering and bothering each other incessantly.... apparently i broke them when they were born... and now the batteries don't run out to often, bedtime is necessary for me lol

Quoting MommyMays:

lol I have had several friends tell me the same thing. DD knows that when it gets late she needs to find things to do quietly. (We do have the house quiet around 10.) I get to take my bath and read for my sanity, so she generally gives me my time.

Quoting Mrs.Godfrey:

-PB
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Yeah, I'd let her sleep when its possible.  I always felt it better to wake up naturally, for adults or children.  :-)

Quoting MommyMays:

Okay. Seems like 12 hours is about what most kids sleep. My DD is almost 6. :)

Quoting -PB:

mem82
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:42 AM
Maybe don't give her a wake up time but give her an alarm clock and tell her you want her to get up at a reasonable time. See what she does. You can always switch back to getting up at a certain time if it doesn't work.
djher_14
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:43 AM
We make our kids lay down between 830 and 9 and they wake me up around 730 or 8
kimber2465
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:45 AM

8-10 hrs a sleep. my grandkids are in bed by 9 every night( unless there something special going on). they are up by 630- 7.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN