Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"pick your battles"

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:44 AM
  • 6 Replies
How do you pick your battle? I'd love to feel like less of a nag..... I want to control so much so he is raised right with a goid moral compass.. but I feel like I am just constantly correcting anf I csn tell he gets frustrated.... thoughts???
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I weigh it on if it is something dangerous, emotionally harming, If it is something I prefer or the way it should really be done, etc
perkie13jjj
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:02 AM
When you were a new mom.. did you reach a point where you had to stop yhe correcting before it became a constant reaction?
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:19 AM
2 moms liked this

If it's something that generally doesn't matter, but is not done "to my liking" then that is just going to frustrate both of us if I nag my kiddos about it. For example, after my oldest came ou his crib at about 18 months he would not sleep in his toddler bed. I always gave him a toy to play with and he had his projector mobile to watch until he fell asleep anyways. So when he wouldn't sleep in his bed, I just put the baby gate up and told him to go night night. He would play quietly sometimes for just a little while and sometimes for a cuple hours... Then cover up with his blankey and his pillow on the floor and go to sleep lol. I didn't feel like that was a battle worth fighting... Now that hes close to 5 he will sleep anywhere we ask him to.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Just lighten up and don't be a helicopter mom. It ruins kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmilysMom2010
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I heard once;
Say five good/positive things for every one bad/negative things.
Focus more on praising than correcting.
GleekingOut
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Think about the battles you are having and the mountains you are making. For instance - is a half an hour tantrum over him wanting a blue cup instead of a green cup worth fighting over? No; swap cups, and move on. Is a battle over him not wanting to go to bed worth it? Depends on the reason - you talk to him and find out and compromise. But the big stuff - like say him wanting to wear holey shorts and a T-shirt to a wedding. That is a battle I would pick to win.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)