Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

snacking for comfort?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:04 AM
  • 8 Replies
My daughter always asks for snacks or crackers. After she has already eaten or accidentally gets hurt or just bored. Is she already developing a need to eat for comfort?
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:35 AM
If you don't think she is really hungry, just say no
natevak93
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:05 AM
I do but she has a tantrum after :( sometimes for an hour
MrsKeyes
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe try to make a system? Im no expert, by any means, but maybe make a basket or a bin with a limited amount of healthy snacks, make it pretty to entice her. Explain to her that she can have snacks, but only this many each day, say 3. and when the basket is empty, she gets no more snacks outside of meals until tomorrow. It might help, I know my friend's DD when she was 4 did the same thing, but she took it a lot better when they said no. They allowed her snacks, but didn't let it get out of hand! Good luck!

KCartair
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:04 PM
If she just had some & ask for more a couple mins later. I would say no. She is probably just eating just because, I would talk to her doctor & see what they say
mamer12812
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:25 PM
I'm going through the something yeah right now I'm clueless on what to do
Sebbiemama
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:19 AM

She may be eating for comfort, not sure. We have scheduled times during the day when we eat (3 meals, 3 snacks for the kids). If my son asks for something in between, I usually tell him that he has to wait until the next meal or snack time. It took him a little while to get used to this when we changed over but he understands it now. And I wouldn't say no to a snack and then cave in just because he has a tantrum or that just reinforces that tantrums works. He has definitely learned that tantrums never work to get him what he wants- of course he still sometimes looses control but that's more about the emotional immaturity of a young child and we handle it as such. We have an eating schedule paritally to reinforce healthy eating habits because he would happily live off of "snacks" and just pick at meals, and partially because it's annoying to have to stop everything and provide snacks whenever he asks.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:01 AM

She could be eating for comfort. If it's a new habit she could be going through a growth spurt.

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:04 AM

It sounds as though she is eating for comfort. We didn't use food rewards for potty training or other events in the hope that the children wouldn't associate food with rewards. I know you said you'd tried refusing and she has long tantrums. Don't give in, though. If you give in even once, then this tells children that it is possible to make you give in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN