Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hired Help

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:54 AM
  • 11 Replies
How do you all feel about this? We have 5 kids, 4 of which live with us full time. They range in age from 7 months to 17 years old. After my last child I cannot keep up. I work from home, I have a small home business but it keeps me busy and brings in nice spending money.

Between all the kids during the day I don't have time for anything. My youngest had colic and because of it she is super needy and loves attention. My house is slowly getting dirtier I can't find the time to clean under the old radiators or to keep dirt off the base boards. I can barely manage the regular things like dishes, vacuuming, sweeping. Not even laundry. I am so tired all the time.

Hubby and I talked and he wasn't against me hiring a maid and/or a babysitter. I just feel like a failure if I do. I got as far as paying for a membership on care.com and posting am ad but I have an inbox full of responses and at a crossroads.
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:53 AM
What's wrong with temporary getting help where you need it?
It's failure to not ask for help... You're not taking good care of YOU by not asking.
luvemboth
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:59 AM
There's no shame in hiring help when you need it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

What about the older children doing chores?

amberNewman0213
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:13 PM
Why don't the older kids do chores?
orliesmom
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:36 PM
They do but one of the teens only stays with us on vacations ad thats it. The 17 year old is failing school and has been in summer school right now and make up classes after school last year and in the upcoming year too and to be honest it occupy most of his time and I'd rather him focus on school right now he's already a year behind. He cleans his room, bathroom and does his own laundry so it's better than nothing. My 8 year old helps but he can't wring the mop nor do I want him cleaning with bleach which is what I clean with. Lol. My hubby helps but he's gone 14 hours a day and I don't ask him to help on work days, he works out doors and takes good care of everyone.

Quoting mem82:

What about the older children doing chores?

orliesmom
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:37 PM
They do. But it mainly consists of taking the trash out, doing their own laundry and cleaning their own bathroom, room etc. Occasionally baby sitting on short notice and dishes. See also above response

Quoting amberNewman0213: Why don't the older kids do chores?
illogicalkat
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Hiring help doesn't make you a failure. It's using your resources. In this case, you have the resource of money, but not time.

"Failure" would be letting your house get out-of-control dirty when you have options available to keep it clean.

FrankMamma
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:02 PM

If you can afford someone I would do it, I really wish we could. Maybe it doesn't have to be everyday, just a couple days a week and you can plan your busiest work days for then. Remember though, that at first you have to train someone in the way you like the house to look, how to deal with your kids, etc. that takes time and you have to be able to spare it.  I  would make the time to go to that inbox and start going through the applicants, schedule a couple interviews, etc.  You are not a failure in asking for help.

skrbelly
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:31 PM
Do it.Why feel guilty at all? In this day and age, no one can do it all.And there's no reason to. If you feel guilty spending the money, hire a teen to help out. Give yourself a little more credit for doing everything you do.
a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 2:18 AM
If I worked from home, I would have a sitter for some time so I can concentrate
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)