Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Would you return it??

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:28 AM
  • 12 Replies

Poll

Question: What would you do?

Options:

Yes, return the check with note explaining why!

No, it was probably meant for you anyway so go ahead & cash it

Other, cuz there has to be another option

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 14

View Results

Last Sunday was my birthday. My biological paternal grandfather always sends checks to all his grand & great grandkids (even great greats) for birthdays & anniversaries. Usually mine comes the day before or after my birthday (he lives in the same state but about 40 minutes away). So when I didn't get one last week I wasn't too pressed. I figured I don't have a relationship with him, he is in his 90s, he probably just forgot. No biggie.

So today I get a card in the mail from him. Postmark is yesterday. I open it & read "Happy Anniversary". First, I am not married. I have been divorced for 2 years now. And yes he knows this. My anniversary would have been 3 weeks before my divorce was final. When he sent me a card that year I sent it back (with the check) telling him I was going through a divorce & while it was appreciated I couldn't accept the gift because I would be divorcing my then H.

So now my dilema is, do I return the check saying it was meant for someone having an anniversary (it was even adressed to "Mrs" not "Ms")? Or do I accept it knowing it was probably meant for my birthday? BTW my anniversary would have been in March. So it's not like he got the 2 mixed up because I haven't gotten an anniversary card from him since I returned the one.

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this

It was probably meant for your birthday and he got mixed up. It is yours. Thank him politely and tell him you appreciate it.

mem82
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:10 PM

This

Quoting Bmat:

It was probably meant for your birthday and he got mixed up. It is yours. Thank him politely and tell him you appreciate it.

-PB
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:21 PM
2 moms liked this

lol  Old people are so cute.

It was meant for your birthday.  Just cash it and thank him. 

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 2:30 AM
If you feel uncomfortable then ask him. Was the name correct? Was the card an anniversary card
beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 3:06 AM
He probably meant to send you a birthday card and mixed up the two events. It's super sweet and sad all at once.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clara78
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 3:10 AM
He is forgetful he meant well thank him
Mommy2Boys0900
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
This was what I thought as well.

Quoting Bmat:

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:35 PM
Quoting Bmat:

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:25 PM
The envelope was addressed to "Mrs" & my name rather than "Ms" & yes the card was an anniversary card.

Quoting a_and_j_momma: If you feel uncomfortable then ask him. Was the name correct? Was the card an anniversary card
shortyali
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:13 PM
I'm sure it was a mistake. You just call and ask.
My mil mailed the kids a check once in a sorry for your loss card. I asked her about it and she said it was because that was the only envelope she could find and didn't want to have a card without an envelope.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN