• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

airplanes

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:17 PM
  • 6 Replies
I'm getting ready to go on a vacation with my dh and my infant... I'm wondering if any of you can answer a couple questions since I have never flown with a child. First, is breastfeeding allowed during flight? My son is breastfed exclusively and I hope I don't have to turn to formula... second, does he have to be in a carseat? My plan was to check his carseat instead of carryon. Thank you.
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
-PB
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Yes you can breastfeed.  Actually it is a good idea to do so.  From what I have read baby's ear don't pop as easily as adults and the swallowing will help his ears adjust to the altitude.  I believe the FAA does recommend child restraints but I don't think its mandatory for children under 2 as they are permitted to sit on the adults lap.  Obviously you would have to buy another seat if you want him in a car seat during take off and landing.

Here is the FAA's website for more info on child restraints and installing them....

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/

OHgirlinCA
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Yes, you can breastfeed, although I'd advise covering up to be considerate to those that don't want to see it. 

No, your child does not have to be in a carseat on the plane.  He can sit on your lap.  (I'm making the assumption that your child is under 2)

MissNicki907
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:39 PM
Yes he will only be 4 months when we fly. Thank you

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Yes, you can breastfeed, although I'd advise covering up to be considerate to those that don't want to see it. 

No, your child does not have to be in a carseat on the plane.  He can sit on your lap.  (I'm making the assumption that your child is under 2)

Reina13
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Hi. The other ladies pretty much summed it up for you so I'll just say 'hello' and 'where are you going on vacation?'

MissNicki907
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:53 PM
New Mexico

Quoting Reina13:

Hi. The other ladies pretty much summed it up for you so I'll just say 'hello' and 'where are you going on vacation?'

MusherMaggie
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:57 PM
Breastfeeding is, by federal law, allowed anywhere the mother is allowed to be. I felt safer with mine flying in a car seat. If adults are required to be strapped in during takeoff and landing, it certainly is safer for a baby to be in a carseat. I used a bottle of expressed breastmilk or a pacifier during takeoff and landing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)