Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need nap advice please

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:27 PM
  • 7 Replies
I need advice. I have ADHD and while I take meds that help, I have problems with consistency.
Ds is 2 and Dd is 3. Dd is super high energy and stopped napping everyday probably a year ago. I still ask her to stay in her room each day for quiet time and mostly she is good with it. Ds needs a daily nap or he is a grouch and falls asleep at dinner time (most days)but I cannot get him to stay in his room. He opens the door constantly unless I put him to sleep. Sometimes I keep at it until he gives up but other days, like today, it goes on forever. I put him down at 2, now it's 3pm. If he falls asleep now he will sleep too long and ruin bedtime. So I gave up and let them play in DDs room.
I just don't know the right thing to do in this situation. I feel like it's teaching him that I will give in and he really doesn't have to follow my rules but damn I get so upset constantly fighting him on it!
Should I not worry so much and just accept that he won't nap everyday?
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LMMommy14
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Honestly, I need the nap as much as my 3yo. Sometimes it is a fight to get her to nap in the afternoon but if I dont, she is grouchy and I am grouchy too. It gives ME that breathing room to get things done. Just stay consistant in your nap time. Get into that routine, eventually he will fall in line with it. Maybe stay with him until he falls asleep. 

rockinmomto2
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:03 PM

2 and 3 are pretty young to be giving up naps completely. My 4 1/2 year old still falls asleep in the car around nap time. If I were you, I'd sit in his doorway and make sure he stays in bed. 

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:25 PM
My 4 yr old naps by 3:30 pm until about 5:30-6pm and she still goes to bed by 8-8:30pm. I give her a full body massage in a darkened room with soft classical lullabies playing and finishing with lavender aromatherapy lotion on her face. I have bedtime books memorized so I say them while I'm giving her a massage or we read one first and then I say another depending how late we are running.
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:45 PM

My kids give up naps around 18-20 months.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Mrs_Snail
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:48 PM
You could wake him/them earlier in the morning so they'll be tired in the afternoon and need some sleep. Other than that I still hug my 3 yo in my arms till she falls asleep and then move her to her bed. No matter how tired she is she wouldn't fall asleep if I don't hug her or if her dad doesn't give her massage on her back
momof2bears04
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:24 PM
These all sound great in theory. But I have a puppy and a 3 yo also. That's a lot of time for me to devote to getting him to nap. Ugh
He wakes up anywhere from 7-8am. So I really can't get him up early.
I will try to b more consistent.
Guess who's asleep on my shoulder while I'm cooking. Yep, this kid.
emkirkley
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:16 PM
Try the map earlier, right after lunch, if they get overestimated they don't fall asleep, but if you catch then as they start getting tired it works better...otherwise, we moved bedtime to 630 because of mdd being too go to sleep then without a nap
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)