• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice on car seats

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:49 PM
  • 14 Replies

My SIL was just telling me that she is thinking about switching my niece to a booster seat but I feel she is too young. SIL says niece's shoulder straps are bellow her shoulders. Now my niece is really tall for her age, just as my DD was. In fact she is taller then the little girls on their street that will be starting kindergarten this fall. Problem is my niece will only be turning 3 this Nov. She weighs 32lbs but that was back at her 2 year visit. She probably weighs more than that now. I remember having to switch my DD over before the age of 4 because she was in size 5T at 3 years old just so her pants weren't too short and her shirts fit her torso. But my niece isn't even 3 yet and I think she is smaller than my DD was but we are talking about 5 years ago. But if we ignore age because she is soo much bigger than the average 2 almost 3 year old, what would be the best decision to go on? Should she base this move soley on the fact her shoulders are above the last slot in her current car seat?

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:52 PM

She needs to buy a convertible carseat to accommodate her.  It is illegal to booster a child before age 4 and 40lbs in many, many states.  I would join the carseat safety group.  THey make many carseats for taller children.  What is her height and weight?

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

kgbm13
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:52 PM

I would below shoulders is not safe.  My 3 yr old step daughter has used a booster the past year and is just turning 3.  She too is larger than others her age.  5t as well.

AJsMom81507
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:54 PM

both my kids were in HBB at 3, they were close or at 40lbs.  I am sure i will get bashed for that, but it is her choice, and it is still considered a safety seat

MorriganzMommy
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:59 PM

She is over 3 feet tall and she is over 32lbs. That was nearly a year ago when she was weighed and measured. She is probably closer to 40lbs now and probably more like 38-40 inches tall. She is the size of a 4 year old or a small 5 year old. I'd look weird measuring my niece for no reason so I can't say for sure. I don't want to upset my SIL but I know she was looking for my approval but I just couldn't give it to her right now. I'm unsure if she is big enough. I wish I could have a photo to compare her height but everyone in my family is freakishly tall.

Retrokitty
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:03 PM
My son is 37 inches tall and can still safely rear face. He is 35 pounds. She needs to find a harnessed seat that can hold her.
MorriganzMommy
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:06 PM

What do you think about the Fire Department helping solve this? They check for proper insalation and they are the ones who site for improper car seat regulations when you get in an accident. Maybe they can clearly make the decision with my niece being in the carseat at the time. What do you think?

Retrokitty
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:08 PM
This one is cheap and can hold kids up to 57"

And also converts to a booster for when she's older.

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Safety-1st-Apex-65-Booster-Car-Seat-Milan/10710255
Retrokitty
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:10 PM
Find a car seat tech over the fire department. They are qualified while fire fighters only know the basics.

Quoting MorriganzMommy:

What do you think about the Fire Department helping solve this? They check for proper insalation and they are the ones who site for improper car seat regulations when you get in an accident. Maybe they can clearly make the decision with my niece being in the carseat at the time. What do you think?

MorriganzMommy
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Quoting Retrokitty: This one is cheap and can hold kids up to 57" And also converts to a booster for when she's older. http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Safety-1st-Apex-65-Booster-Car-Seat-Milan/10710255

Thank you, I messaged my SIL with that car seat and another Walmart listed as similar so she can consider those rather than a booster now. 

emkirkley
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:09 PM
She needs a combination seat that starts as a harness and can be used as a booster after she's at least 5, some good ones that aren't too expensive are the harmony defender if you can find them, the graco Nautilus, the evenflo Maestro and evenflo securekid. Another inexpensive but good option for tall kids is the evenflo sureride/titan65 ($50-100 depending on site coupons and sales)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)