Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Confused on Sizes! D:

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:54 PM
  • 6 Replies

Today (because I'm too antsy to stay out of her stuff!) I was going through my daughters' clothes just for fun to put together outfits and stuff and it came to my attention that we have very little newborn pants. Enough onesies (like 9) but no pants that match very good. So I know you can put 0-3 months on a newborn most times, which my doctor said that he was guessing that she'd be around 8 pounds so she might not even fit in the newborn clothes, but anyways...

I moved on to going through all her 0-3 month clothes and I felt like I had way more pants than I had in her drawer. Then it occurred to me that i have more pants tucked away in her closet. I have newborn & 0-3 month clothes in her dresser and then I have the 3 drawer plastic drawers in her closet which I have labeled 3-6 months, 6-9 months, and 9-12 months. So I was peeking to see if I had a lot of pants in the 3-6 months drawer because I had put all my size 3m clothes in there. And lone and behold, there are a lot of pants in there! And I know that a lot are 3m because one of my friends gave me a whole container full of nb-6 month clothes that were in phenonmenal condition! Barely any stains! 

So this leads me to my question... 

I'm aware that some brands use "3m" "6m" "9m" and so on to size their clothes; specifically Carter's. But what I'm concerned about is I've read all over the internet about the size comparisons and everyone has mixed feelings. I've read that 3m is actually 0-3m but then I read some people say that it's exactly 3m. Which I know that all babies are different so it's not going to be EXACTLY 3m when she'll fit, but I'm wondering if I should take out all the 3m clothes from the closet and put them in the dresser? 

Why do they have to make things so complicated? They really couldn't have just left the labels as 0-3m and ect?  /: Ugh. 

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
emkirkley
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this
3m is the same as 0-3
Jenn8604
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this
My 8 lb 13 oz ds wore newborn clothes just fine.
Yes move them. You never know what runs small anyways. For all you know the 3m is really the same size as some nb. It always varies by company and year to year with each company. Same with your clothes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsKeyes
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I have had the worst time with this. Even just in Carters, The size discrepancy is terrible! I already had to put up some of DD's 3-6 month clothes (she will be 6mon on the 11th), but I'm still using some of the 3 month onsies! And not just different brands, some of the same! I've resigned myself to the fact that I can only loosly base the clothes on the numbers!

katemckenzie
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:41 PM
I don't bother looking at tags, I just put on whatever fits.
Retrokitty
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 1:46 AM
My son never fit newborn clothing.

To answer your question different brands for differently. You may find that some 6 month pants are shorter than 0-3 months. Look at the length rather than the tag.
Mommynwife26
by Brianna on Jul. 26, 2014 at 1:51 AM
I had 8 and 9lbs girls and both fit newborn clothes especially the Carter ones for at least a month. 0-3 is more like 3m so you could take them out now but you will probably have a month or two before she fits into them....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)