Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Refusing formula/bottle

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:15 PM
  • 5 Replies

My 6 month old just started to refuse her bottle and she is formula fed.  She is eating solids now about 2 times a day.  She was taking 6 oz at each feeding 5 times daily.  Now she only drinks 4oz at the most or even 2oz.  This worries me because I fear that she may get dehydrated.  This started just this week.  She discovered how to push up on all fours this week.  She might be teething as well but the old ice chip inside the mesh thing no longer works for her.  She wakes up in the middle of the night a couple times.  She used to sleep straight through the night since she was 3 months old.  Any advice on what this could be.  She doesn't have a temperature.  She seems to be feeling fine but she is more cranky than normal.  

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
-PB
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

They will do that when they are cutting teeth.  :-(. My dd didn't get her first set until she was 11 months but for 8 days straight all she would eat was Cheerios and milk.  Do you give her Tylenol before she eats?  I would try giving her Tylenol an hour before meals when possible.  Also, she is just old enough to have Motrin so I would alternate between Tylenol and Motrin.  You can also try feeding her smaller amounts more frequently.  As far as solids, if you are worried about dehydration, give her less solids and offer the formula before solids.  A sippy cup might be easier on her gums so you could try that too.  This too shall pass.

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:13 AM
1 mom liked this

the food is filling her more now, so eating somewhat less is fairly normal.  At his point, food is just more to get her used to different textures, flavors and get her stomach ready for solids, but nutrients from the formula is still her predominant source.  How is she eating?

Saphirediamonds
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:55 AM

Hello PB, thank you for your reply.  It makes good sense.  How much Tylenol or Motrin did you give your 6 month.  On the box it shows to ask the doctor under 1 year of age.  

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this
It depends on your baby's weight and the concentration of the med you are using. There are dosage charts available online.

Quoting Saphirediamonds:

Hello PB, thank you for your reply.  It makes good sense.  How much Tylenol or Motrin did you give your 6 month.  On the box it shows to ask the doctor under 1 year of age.  

Saphirediamonds
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:15 AM

To mixed cookie, she is eating off a spoon just fine.  She will only take 2 oz of formula from the bottle.  I am even trying to syringe it into her mouth but she isn't liking that very much.   So maybe I will try to just feed her more often then.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)