Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Powdered caffeine Warning!

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:35 AM
  • 16 Replies

To be honest, I never even knew there was such a thing until I came across this article. Apparently, this stuff is responsible for the death of a teenager from Ohio. Have you ever tried this stuff?

FDA Warning: Powdered Pure Caffeine

Today, the FDA is warning about powdered pure caffeine being marketed directly to consumers, and recommends avoiding these products. In particular, FDA is concerned about powdered pure caffeine sold in bulk bags over the internet. The FDA is aware of at least one death of a teenager who used these products.Pure caffeine products are potentially dangerous, and serious adverse events can result, including death. People with pre-existing heart conditions should not use them.These products are essentially 100 percent caffeine. A single teaspoon of pure caffeine is roughly equivalent to the amount in 25 cups of coffee.Pure caffeine is a powerful stimulant and very small amounts may cause accidental overdose. Parents should be aware that these products may be attractive to young people.Symptoms of caffeine overdose can include rapid or dangerously erratic heartbeat, seizures and death. Vomiting, diarrhea, stupor and disorientation are also symptoms of caffeine toxicity. These symptoms are likely to be much more severe than those resulting from drinking too much coffee, tea or other caffeinated beverages.

All consumers seeking caffeinated products should be aware of the potentially high potency of these powdered pure caffeine products. Parent should recognize that teenagers and young adults may be drawn to these products for their perceived benefits.

What to do

* The FDA advises consumers to avoid powdered pure caffeine.

* It is nearly impossible to accurately measure powdered pure caffeine with common kitchen measuring tools and you can easily consume a lethal amount.

* If you believe that you are having an adverse event related to caffeine, stop using it and seek immediate medical care or advice.

* The FDA wants to know about adverse events associated with powdered pure caffeine and other highly caffeinated products. You or your health care provider can help by reporting these adverse events to FDA in the following ways:

* By phone at 240-402-2405

* By email at CAERS@cfsan.fda.gov<mailto:CAERS@cfsan.fda.gov>

Why this advice is important

Pure caffeine products are potentially dangerous, and serious adverse events can result, including death. People with pre-existing heart conditions should not use them.

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for the article. I hadn't heard of this until now.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

You're welcome. Sounds like some scary stuff.

Quoting Bmat:

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I am already uneasy and doubtful about red bull and other so-called high caffeine drinks. To actually have it in powdered form is scary. :(

Quoting ceciliam:

Quoting Bmat:

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Thank you! I never heard of this.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:55 PM

I don't think Redbull is safe either. I've never tried those, either.

Quoting Bmat:

I am already uneasy and doubtful about red bull and other so-called high caffeine drinks. To actually have it in powdered form is scary. :(

Quoting ceciliam:

Quoting Bmat:

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:56 PM

I never knew such a thing existed, either.

Quoting Mom2Just1:

Thank you! I never heard of this.

Karmea
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:06 PM

I'd never heard of it until this story, either. The problem is the media is making it look like powdered caffeine killed the kid, when it didn't. Ignorance killed him. He took approximately 25 times a reasonable dose. If you took 25 multi-vitamins in one day, that would kill you, too. Or 25 Tylenol. Any supplement in those amounts could kill you. If the FDA gets to villainize a product every time someone does something stupid, soon we won't be able to buy even water.

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:38 PM

I haven't either. I have no interest in artificially getting my heart pounding.

Quoting ceciliam:

I don't think Redbull is safe either. I've never tried those, either.

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting ceciliam:

Quoting Bmat:

a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:17 PM
That is crazy
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jul. 28, 2014 at 7:57 AM

I get that it was human error but I think that is also what they are trying to say, that with this stuff it is very easy to take too much.

Quoting Karmea:

I'd never heard of it until this story, either. The problem is the media is making it look like powdered caffeine killed the kid, when it didn't. Ignorance killed him. He took approximately 25 times a reasonable dose. If you took 25 multi-vitamins in one day, that would kill you, too. Or 25 Tylenol. Any supplement in those amounts could kill you. If the FDA gets to villainize a product every time someone does something stupid, soon we won't be able to buy even water.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)