Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

picky eater blues

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:55 PM
  • 9 Replies

hey everyone!

hope everyone is doing well. ive got a food crisis and i need tips and help. my three year old used to love veggies and fruit and all things healthy..... now im lucky if i can get her to eat something other than PBJ. so far the only thing that DID work was fruit and veggie smoothies, but shes burned out on those. can anyone tell me how to get her back on her health kick or offer recipes that dont involve smearing peanut butter on a piece of bread? im getting desparate!

THANKS TO ALL 😁

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
emkirkley
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:51 PM
Other than pbj what does she seem interested in? Have you had her help prepare food? Have you tried making popsicles out of the smoothies, you could put granola in them, freeze bananas (chocolate dip and coatnin nuts if you want)
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Does she help you prepare?  Anything else besides pb and j she is interested in?

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Karmea
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:24 PM

I think it's a control thing, because my daughter is going through the same thing at three.The suggestion to get her involved in preparing her own food is a good one. I also made a chart/checklist for my daughter showing her the kinds of foods she needs to eat every day in order to stay healthy. She's into that because it feels grown-up to follow written instructions (well, pictures, mostly!). But, honestly, I'd see it as a phase and not freak out over it. I'm sure it's temporary, and going without broccoli for a few weeks isn't going to damage them nearly as much as a power struggle will.

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:43 PM

can you put PB on other stuff, bagels, crackers, pancakes... can you try to stretch her out of the BPJ into some other textures.

How is her speech? How are her teeth? Typically when kids become this controlling somthing else is getting in their way... Id wonder about oral motoer delays, difficlty chewing, sensory issues.
My son doesnt eat any meat/protein.. the suggestions on this board were to starve him until he eats. force. punish. yeah, not my nature... I KNOW these moms meant well.. BUT after a visit to the dentist, turns out my son has something called Maloccusion... where his bottom teeth/jaw will litterally fit under his upper jaw.. so his teeth- they dont meet... chewing anything remotely chewy (meat) is diffiuclt/impossible. It can be fixed when he is older. 
So glad I didnt starve him. ,}
My point is that I think I would just look for other reasons- rule out ALL medical reasons before I began to think it was behavioral.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:10 PM

I would just offer the healthy foods along with what she will eat.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Also, check out the book, Sneaky Chef. I use to make alot of the recipes in there and my son loved them but I still offered the foods in whole form as well.

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:12 PM
We made ours eat other stuff they will not starve offer her healthy fun choices apple slices and cheese or carrots and dip hummus is fun dip
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:41 PM
I would stop making PB&j and offering the other food, they won't starve themselves
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Check out the book Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN