Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

CPS Help **Update**

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:32 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hi ladies, I have a question.  I need to call CPS on my neighbor.  I am a big believer in live and let live but her children spend a lot of time at my house playing with my kids and it has come to the point that some of the things going on at their house have me very worried about their health(mental and physical) and their safety.  I have never, ever even had to consider calling CPS before for anything so I have no idea how to go about it or what will be expected once I do call.  First off do I look in the phone book for CPS or call the local police department for their number or what?  Secondly, once I call what should I expect to need to do?  Should I write out everything that has me concerned to take in to them or will they just ask me questions over the phone or what?  I really, really dont want to make things worse for these kids by calling but I am afraid if I don't call one of them will end up injured or with severe health implications and they are obviously being impacted emotionally and such too.  Anyway, any help would be appreciated. 

Update:  I called last night and talked to the CPS employee for 40 minutes.  They asked a lot of questions and took down a lot of info.  It was the state 1-800 number I called and they said that there was definitely enough in what I said that they will send a case to the local office to have them follow up with the family.  Thanks for the help ladies. 

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:46 PM
I would document your concerns by date and time, then look up CPS in the phone book. I believe you can remain anonymous. I believe they have to at least call whenever they receive a notification, no matter how small the problem seems to be. I actually had them called on me as a prank some years ago. My children were interviewed at school (without my knowledge, even though I was working in the building at the time) and I received a phone call at home. It didn't go any further than that--they didn't discover anything in talking to my children that they could use to justify investigating me.
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:54 PM
Document all concerns but you won't meet with them in person unless it goes to court.

Every state has a 1800 number for child abuse (google yours) you call and explain your concerns. If the call center believes there is reason they will dispatch a call and report to your local office.

From here your local office has X amount of hours/days usually 48-72 hours to make a surprised visit.

If they adult doesn't open the door and talk to them CPS can call police to enforce the visit.

From here you will have no contact as to the situation outcome ect. And will remain unknown to the family unless they pick up on things from ge complaints.
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Document all concerns. I know in my state if one calls CPS then CPS has 3 days to visit the house.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

shortyali
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:02 PM
I had CPS called on me. I wasn't home at the time so they actually left a note on the door stating if I didn't call back by the next morning the police would be involved. I was only at the store so I called and they set up a time the next day to come out. Someone had called stating that DH and I refused to feed DS1 and that I would leave for hours on end without leaving food for him. They didn't have to tell me who called or even what it was about. The only way I found out was the person who turned us in worked with my DH and she told someone what she did and said and it got back to DH. I had to show that DS1 had his own sleeping space, I had pumped milk in the freezer and a can of formula in the pantry and bottles (DS1 was 5 weeks old at the time). It became an issue because DS1 lost weight because of some nursing issues that I didn't research enough. My sons Ped then turned me in stating that because of my insisting to nurse that I was killing my son. After having him admitted to the hospital and being bullied into formula feeding and twice weekly weight checks with the county health nurse, my case was dropped after 2 months.
Long story short, it can be anonymous, most cases do get investigate and make sure whatever it is that your concerned about is actually going on because otherwise it could be a huge waste of time for everyone involved. Not saying there are times when it's actually needed but we found out the reason this girl called on us was she was upset that she couldn't nurse her baby and she had a crush on DH and thought that if she upset us enough that DH would leave me, and she would get both him and our baby. Her bf just left her and took their baby without a custody agreement in place so she was upset that the police wouldn't help her.
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:12 PM
Document with dates and times. There should just be a report number
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:05 PM

What a terrible position to be in. Hope it all gets better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN