Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Should I say anything or just mind my business.

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:59 AM
  • 32 Replies

My son is in college and has a girlfriend of almost 3 years. I like her fine, but there is one thing that really bugs my DH and I.
When my son is talking and he says something that she doesn't like, she rolls her eyes and has this look on her face. Almost like a non verbal, 'you are so stupid'. I HATE that look. I hate when she does that. He could be talking about anything and she will do this. I just think it is so disrespectful.
It isn't something that just we as parents notice but others have noticed it too. My son is really laid back and part of me wants to say something about it but part of me thinks I should mind my own business.
What do you think? 

by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lonelymoon
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:01 PM
Myob
booaura
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:01 PM
My your own business. Has nothing to do with you, and if they've been together 3 years, he clearly likes her, if not loves her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JIJsMom
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:01 PM
I'd have a hard time not telling her to knock it off.
Reina13
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:08 PM

I have to bite my tongue often, but as of this point, I haven't said anything.

It is just hard to sit back and watch it. 

Quoting JIJsMom: I'd have a hard time not telling her to knock it off.

Liastele
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

He is an adult. If they have been together for 3 years he obviously likes her. Don't be "that" MIL that constantly whines about things she dislikes about the wife/gf/etc. 

Whenever I tell my mom something DH does that is amazing she just says "oh" because she doesn't like him. It pisses me off. You are free to hate this woman in private, but don't tell him.

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:33 PM

I don't nor have I ever constantly whined about things I dislike. I am seeking advice, I haven't said or done anything at this point. 

I have an issue with what I feel is blatant disrespect.  Outside of this issue, I like her just fine.

Quoting Liastele:

He is an adult. If they have been together for 3 years he obviously likes her. Don't be "that" MIL that constantly whines about things she dislikes about the wife/gf/etc. 

Whenever I tell my mom something DH does that is amazing she just says "oh" because she doesn't like him. It pisses me off. You are free to hate this woman in private, but don't tell him.

nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:44 PM

The next time she did it in my presence I would look directly at her, and say - "Excuse me, did you want to make a comment, or would you rather simply make faces?"

I can not stand rude behavior.

rockinmomto2
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

What may be disrespectful to YOU may not be disrespectful to your son. I'm sure that after 3 years, he's well used to her faces and hasn't said anything or simply thinks of it as part of who she is. You need to mind your own business.

Quoting Reina13:

I don't nor have I ever constantly whined about things I dislike. I am seeking advice, I haven't said or done anything at this point. 

I have an issue with what I feel is blatant disrespect.  Outside of this issue, I like her just fine.

Quoting Liastele:

vwd_johnson
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:15 PM
Mind your own. Like others have said, they've been together for 3 years so he must care about her a lot. Thats part of her and im sure he knows it by now. It may be disrespectful to you and nothing to him.
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:18 PM
Stay out of it. I doubt he is stupid and can see the same faces you can. It really isn't something that huge you should interfere
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)