Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Does this mean that he's special needs?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:09 PM
  • 58 Replies
Good evening ladies I have a question for you. My son is 10 months old and he has recently started banging his head on everything he sees. His play pin, my head, tables. My mother tells me that's a sign of autism and ADHD. Is this true? He does it alot and it's starting to concern me..
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyssa414
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Could be a phase or a sign that he's having headaches or a self-soothing thing. I would just bring it up at your next pedi appt.
NeonGirl9583
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:11 PM
My went Thur that stage about that age.
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:20 PM

play PEN.........at 10 months old.  It is just him exploring his surroundings since he is learning movement.  To say a 10 month old has adhd is ridiculous since their attention span is 5-10 minutes typically.

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I think that it is too young for any diagnosis. I wouldn't worry at this point
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:50 PM
2 moms liked this
Thank you. Agree. :)

Quoting frndlyfn:

play PEN.........at 10 months old.  It is just him exploring his surroundings since he is learning movement.  To say a 10 month old has adhd is ridiculous since their attention span is 5-10 minutes typically.

okpondlady
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:08 PM

I wouldn't think so.  Ask your ped if he keeps doing it but I wouldn't think it would be more than exploring his environment. 

TANSTAAFL- There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

AliKatAK47
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 6:51 AM

He's 10 months old. 10 month olds do weird stuff.  ADHD and Autism don't even present, typically, until the kid is 3-5 (except in low functioning children). 

cocoroo
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:22 AM
7 moms liked this

He is 10 months old.  They are strange, little creatures.  Why do some people  feel the need for every child to have a diagnosis?

VinVanMom
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:37 AM

I've fostered tons of kids/babies and never had one do that. I'd take him in. Could be many reasons. 

Panditacjp
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:45 AM
3 moms liked this

Totally Normal - I wouldn't be too concerned unless it's leaving bruises or something. 

"Head banging and body rocking are normal self-comforting behaviors in babies. The rhythmic back-and-forth movements may soothe your baby and help him drift off to sleep, in the same way being rocked in a rocking chair does. Strangely enough, your baby may also bang his head to distract himself from pain — if he's teething or has an ear infection, for example.

Head banging is surprisingly common. Up to 20 percent of babies and toddlers bang their head on purpose, although boys are three times more likely to do it than girls. Head banging often starts in the second half of the first year and peaks between 18 and 24 months of age. Your baby's head-banging habit may last for several months, or even years, though most children outgrow it by age 3.

Some babies bang their forehead or the back of their head against the headboard of their crib, while others are partial to the crib railings. Other babies roll their heads from side to side while lying on their backs, which often results in a bald spot on the back of the head."

http://www.babycenter.com/0_head-banging_1509186.bc

"Head banging, head rolling, and body rocking are all common rhythmic habits (as is thumb sucking). Many theories have been put forward to explain them. Perhaps the rocking and even the head banging provide a form of pleasure related to the movement. This joy in movement is called our kinesthetic drive.

"

http://www.drgreene.com/articles/head-banging/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN