Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog groomers and grooming clients *advice*

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:07 PM
  • 0 Replies

Hey all, I've been running my grooming salon for over a year now, my location was a grooming salon for a year before I got it and my silent/financial business partner is the one who paid for everything, we got the clients, equipment and basically also paid for the fact they remodled the whole space for the salon (but we rent the space in a strip mall). In a year or so I want to look at buying a house.

I'm asking for some advice here from both groomers and clients because I am looking at doing home-based grooming, I want to buy a house, possibly use it as collateral for a business loan to pay back my business partner, not to mention it'd be way cheaper to be home-based than pay for rent at the salon, which would reflect in cheaper pricing on the grooms.My problem is first that I want to buy a house where I currently live, it is about 15/20 minutes straight up the highway from my salon. I want to know if other groomers have ever made this change and kept most of their clients, also as a grooming customer, would you drive a little farther knowing the environment is even more relaxed, and pricing would be cheaper?

I live in town P, Salon is in town G, easier to say this way.Home based in town P the clients in town G drive 15/20 minutes farther, though some are from tiny towns around and also drive even farther, I also have a lot of clients in town P and the big city it is connected to so I'd be closer to them. Town P is cheaper for me to live, less expensive houses, I'm saying the same house in town P costs around $50,000 less than town G...so that is my biggest reason for wanting to stay in town P, plus being closer to everything for me and not having to switch my 6 year olds school again (used to live in town G, she went to kindergarten here, will be going to 1st grade in town P since we moved).

Hopefully this isn't too confusing, as a grooming salon owner would you buy a house in town G because most of your clients are there, or buy a house to town P because it works better for your family and finances, either way I plan to be home-based in a year or so. As a person who takes their dog to a groomer, would you drive 15/20 minutes farther to keep your same groomer (only other groomer near by is not great), knowing you'd pay $10-$20 less for your dog's groom (depending) and everyone would be more relaxed? I already am kennel free, each dog has their own appointment, so one at a time (unless owner has more than one) and no kennels, they run around the salon after grooming, baby gates to keep them from escaping anywhere).

I have a lot of loyal clients, many are from the previous groomer, but also many were reffered to me by other groomers retiring and a vet clinic as well as my other clients. I'm just not sure they would like the extra drive because I hear all the time "i'm so glad I don't have to drive out of town for grooming!" or "I'm so glad you are here, I live just down the block!"....Honestly the only reason I'd consider buying a house in town G is to make it better for my clients...

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)