Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New, fun camping treat that isn't s'mores...

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:12 PM
  • 23 Replies

Dh apparently hates them lol, the kids always have like one and a half, so we've always just wasted whole packages of crap just to camp two nights lol.

What do you like to have as a treat while camping? We're leaving friday and I'll run to the store for last minutes that day... I wanna do something DIFFERENT! 

Whaddaya say?

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
squeekers
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

make a campfire banana split:  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/campfire-banana-splits/

"Hobo" Kettle Corn

Cut a large piece of aluminum foil, about 18x18 inches. Place 1 teaspoon of neutral oil and 1 tablespoon of popcorn kernels in the center of the foil, then bring together the corners to make a pouch with lots of room inside. Tie the foil pouch to a stick and hold it over the campfire coals, shaking it continuously until the popcorn finishes popping. Add 1 teaspoon butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon sugar; toss to coat and enjoy.

emkirkley
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:22 PM
Pies in pie irons dusted with powdered sugar
Mine just do marshmallows, not smores
anotherandree
by Inga on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:23 PM
We called those "pudgy pies." Yum....

Quoting emkirkley: Pies in pie irons dusted with powdered sugar
Mine just do marshmallows, not smores
dx1066
by New Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Pudgy Pizza Pies!

MaineMammax2
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:52 PM
Have not tried but found a recipe for campfire eclairs. You wrap cresant dough around a thicker marshmallow stick and toast. Have vanilla pudding in a ziploc that you can snip the corner off to pipe into the toasted "eclair shell" spread chocolate frosting on the top. Or supposedly you can roast starburst on a stick and they get toasty and delicious but also have not tried this.
a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Brownies!

http://www.createdby-diane.com/2012/07/grilled-smore-brownie.html

a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:35 PM

I made a peach crisp when I went camping. I wrapped it in tin foil. Baked apples, no bake cookies, ans rice crispy treats

SleepingBeautee
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

We toast starburt candies over the fire. Sooo yummy! Crispy on the outside and gooey on the onside. Heaven!

janessa27
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Camp fire cones! My boys love making smores but always waste them. They love (and will eat-beg for more) the camp fire cones. We usually cheat and make them in the oven because we do not camp. lol

{Camping Recipe} - CAMPFIRE CONES, YUM! Fill a cone with marshmallows, chocolate chips, peanut butter/nutella, wrap in foil and place over the fire for 5 minutes - or until melted. Enjoy! Campfire Cones
Ice Cream Cones
Mini Marshmallows
Mini Chocolate Chips
Nutella
Chopped Nuts
Peanut Butter Chips or peanut butter

(Just a few sample ingredients)

tin foil

Start with a cone and fill with marshmallows and other treats. Cover with foil and place on inderect heat on a grill or campfire for about 5-10 minutes or until all of the contents are melted.

Unwrap and enjoy!

My middle son like peanut butter and bananas in his- so there are all different kinds of ways to make these. Much less messy than smores;)

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jul. 31, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Thanks! 

Quoting squeekers:

make a campfire banana split:  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/campfire-banana-splits/

"Hobo" Kettle Corn

Cut a large piece of aluminum foil, about 18x18 inches. Place 1 teaspoon of neutral oil and 1 tablespoon of popcorn kernels in the center of the foil, then bring together the corners to make a pouch with lots of room inside. Tie the foil pouch to a stick and hold it over the campfire coals, shaking it continuously until the popcorn finishes popping. Add 1 teaspoon butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon sugar; toss to coat and enjoy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)