Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CM Dr's! Help! Advice needed regarding wounds and swimming (pic included)

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:35 PM
  • 9 Replies

Mobile Photo

Tomorrow will mark 2 weeks that my son has had this wound. He had it glued at the er the day it happened.

1 week later, last Thursday, I noticed some liquid seeping out of the tape they applied to the wound. I took him to the er and they were uncertain if it was infected. They removed the tape to check, and the cut split open again! Ugh! They said the infection was minor but they couldn't re glue or stitch and it just had to heal open like this. My son asked when he could go to the beach and the dr said about a week if the infection goes away.

So tomorrow marks a week and my sister has planned to take him. I'm not sure I will let him go. The infection is gone for sure. There is no puss. The shinyness of it is from polysporin (which has been caked on for the etnire week.) If he does go, I will apply a good water proof bandage or 3 lol Is it too soon?

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Is he going swimming in a pool or the ocean? Where do you live? I have been reading some articles about flesh eating bacteria in the ocean and people with cuts and wounds are most susceptible. I wouldn't want any part of going in any ocean or lake.

ms_amanda
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:41 PM

I live in Canada, in the prairies. There are no oceans even a days drive away lol

He will be going to a man made beach with a fountain. The water has a touch of chlorine, but not tons. you'd never know. There are fish minos and other creatures in it, but, not tons. It's a pretty clean beach.

Quoting ceciliam:

Is he going swimming in a pool or the ocean? Where do you live? I have been reading some articles about flesh eating bacteria in the ocean and people with cuts and wounds are most susceptible. I wouldn't want any part of going in any ocean or lake.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Ah, okay. :)

Quoting ms_amanda:

I live in Canada, in the prairies. There are no oceans even a days drive away lol

He will be going to a man made beach with a fountain. The water has a touch of chlorine, but not tons. you'd never know. There are fish minos and other creatures in it, but, not tons. It's a pretty clean beach.

Quoting ceciliam:

MusherMaggie
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:42 PM
I know he'll be disappointed, but I would not let him go if he were mine. It's not worth the risk of a potentially dangerous infection.
ms_amanda
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:45 PM

I'm leaning towards no. The dang dr told him 1 week so he's convinced the dr says he can lol that doesn't help. He just may have to go to the movies while his siblings are at the beach. :(

Quoting MusherMaggie: I know he'll be disappointed, but I would not let him go if he were mine. It's not worth the risk of a potentially dangerous infection.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:02 PM
Nope unless it's a swimming pool. If fish and stuff can live in it I wouldn't allow a child with an open wound in it
MaineMammax2
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:24 PM
If fish live in it fish poop in it. Wet soggy open wound sounds like serious infection waiting to happen. Hard to make him miss out on the fun but it's in his best interest.
a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:29 PM

I wouldn't 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)