Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Did you encounter any "delivery day" problems no one told you about?

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 1:20 PM
  • 36 Replies

The Stir is looking for stories from moms on "delivery day" problems no one told you about. For instance, what problems did you feel surprised or blindsided by on your big day? For instance, did you have no idea that they couldn't give you an epidural if you were very dilated, which made you really wish you came to the hospital earlier? Did no one warn you that you might poop during delivery? Or get dry mouth? Or that you couldn't eat or drink anything once you were at the hospital so you wished you'd eaten a big meal before you came? Share your story for an upcoming article so other moms will know what to expect! Thanks so much.

by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KRhyMama2013
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 1:34 PM

I have dermals in my back, needed a c section, they told me they would have to cut them out because the cauterizing machine is electric and it would burn them out of my back.  I told them no, I had to wait 3h for them to find a battery operated one.  I never even thought about this when getting them done.  (not a normal issue)

143myboys9496
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 1:38 PM

With my first, I didn't know the epidural could or would run dry. Pushing was very painful. They kept telling me I had the epidural, so I thought I was being a giant wimp. The mood of the whole room changed when the doctor did my episotomy and I screamed. "You felt that?" the nurse asked, I said "YES!!!" Then they realized that for an undetermined amount of time I'd been pushing without any epidural. 

No one ever told me that feeling like you have to move your bowels is/can be labor. That's how I woke up with my 1st. Every time I laid down I felt like I had to go. I'd get up and the feeling would go away. So I just sat up, for 3 hours and called the OB's office when the feeling woudn't go away.

KREX0914
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I wasn't told I couldn't eat while in labor at the hospital. I was there for a good 18+ hours before I began pushing. I used some colorful language after being denied both lunch and dinner. 

Ninjascreenname
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 5:32 PM
That you cannot birth in anything but a hospital gown. That they won't give you anything to drink. (jerks)
applesnbananas
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 5:47 PM
I was surprised by my unplanned c section of my second born. Anticipated no problems, but was devastated when given the news that I was not progressing and needed a c section.
Nimue930
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 5:48 PM

No one told me I'd get an overwhelming urge to barf.  ugh.  No one told me to not stress about modesty issues during delivery, cuz when you are in the midst of delivering a baby, you really don't care so it's a needless pre delivery anxiety. 

Mobabs
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this
No one warned me of the true risks of an epidural. My dr and nurses encouraged me to get one and minimized all risks. I ended up with an incurable spinal disease called adhesive arachnoiditis because of an epidural gone wrong. It has been almost 2 years since my son's birth, and I live with chronic pain, numbness and neuropathy in all four limbs. I could barely walk for months and now depend on strong medications to make it through each day. Please read my story here before you decide whether or not to get an epidural: http://americannewsreport.com/nationalpainreport/my-story-a-new-mothers-epidural-gone-wrong-8824264.html
Emycf
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:20 PM
Nobody warned me that some people throw up. So it was a complete surprise when I threw up with every 3rd contraction from 4:30am to 6pm. I did not respond well to non-stop puking.
AudlyLuvly
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:35 PM
No one warned me that the staff won't read your chart, just ask the same question over and over. (i swear they asked me 5x if there were any complications during pregnancy, while i was contracting in active labor, dilated to 10) um, i had all my prenatal care at this hospital, so it should show that everything is fine... Please don't tell me not to push.
cherylw993
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:57 PM

I knew that vomiting was a possibility, but I thought that only happened when you were in heavy labor. I didn't know that I would start vomiting the moment I went into labor and would not stop until I arrived at the hospital. I expected to stay home as long as possible and eat a light meal and drink plenty of water, but I could not keep anything down.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)