Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Babies & peanut butter

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:02 PM
  • 30 Replies

So I'm curious to know at what age did you introduce peanut butter to your child and in what way?  Sandwich, cookie, toast, etc?  I have an 11 month old and I'm ready to give peanut butter a shot once she turns one, as suggested by our pediatrician.  

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-PB
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:17 PM
2 moms liked this

My dd's ped said to wait until 2 years.  I gave her peanut butter when she was about 2 months shy of 2 years.  They used to say wait until later because of allergy reasons but I think many doctors are not saying that anymore because it really has no effect on whether or not they will be allergic.  With that being said, My dd's ped said to wait until 2 years only because very young children often cannot communicate when something is wrong.  She was right.

My dd ended up being severely allergic to cashews and pistachios.  She was 3 when she had her first reaction and it was very scary.  We had no idea that she was having an allergic reaction for at least 45 minutes after she ate a cashew.

If you want to give it a go I would say start slow.  Literally give her a very small amount (maybe half of a pea-sized amount) and wait a couple hours before giving her more.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Aug. 4, 2014 at 11:57 PM
2 moms liked this

I would wait until she is 2.  Many doctors recommend that due to allergies.  While she would be allergic either way if you gave it at one or two, the older she is the more she can communicate if there is a problem and the stronger her body will be in case of an emergency. 

lilmama31709
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
I gave it to DS around 14months. I would talk to your pedi. I know they used to say wait until 2 but then a study came out that kids allergies to food were more likely the older they were when they first tried it. Ask your pediatrician. Family history plays a role in a pediatrician a recommendations for trying certain foods. IE: if a child has a sibling with a severe egg allergy they may recommend waiting, my aunt actually took my cousin to the the pedis office the first time she had strawberries because her older brother is highly allergic.
jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:10 AM
2 moms liked this

All of my kids have had it before the age of one.  Not much before, but still before.  We have no allergies of any kind whatsoever in our family on either side (like, literally no one) so I was never worried.  PB is actually one of those that is no longer on the "wait" list.  Along with eggs.  Plus, in my case, they'd all been exposed to it from day 1 anyway because I eat PB all the time and I breastfeed.  The first time, I'm pretty sure they just ate it off my finger.  Then moved on to sandwiches at a year.

Keda84
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:12 AM
2 for all my kids
fullxbusymom
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this

All mine had p'nut butter before one.  Years ago it was recommended to wait until two but that is not the recommendations any longer.  As soon as you feel they are ready is the time to do it now.  They have PB&J sandwiches, p'nut butter crackers etc.

Beautifulmom513
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:17 AM
My pediatrician said they fine as soon as they turn 1 years old. So as soon as both my kids turned 12 months old I started giving them peanut butter. No problems.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:32 AM
I am allergic to peanuts. Mine ate it at 1. They are not allergic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacy2607
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:39 AM
2 years old
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this
6, 7 months. If there is no history of an allergy in the family there is no need to wait.

New studies suggest that waiting until 2 causes an increased likelihood of the allergy. When they started suggest parents wait, the peanut allergies soared by 67%
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)