Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Nanny Vs. Daycare for Infant

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:12 PM
  • 31 Replies

Hello ! New to the scene :)   I'm planning to go back to work in a few weeks, my daughter will be about 2mos. My plan is to start back part time, and looking into both daycare and nanny as an option. Cost - wise, it seems around the same so far ... What other things should we consider - anything you wish you knew or could share to help us pick ?  Thanks !! 

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
applesnbananas
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:19 PM
2 moms liked this
I like daycare and actually prefer center based or small in home. This way baby interacts with many kids and possibly multiple adults.
prettymomma1204
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:21 PM
3 moms liked this
I work in a childcare center. My best advice would be to use common sense. If there are a lot of crying babies-no. If the caregivers look tired and/or unpleasant-no. Look for cleanliness and order. Parent communication is also a biggy. You need access at all times, phone calls are welcome, written daily reports for mom and dad. Check out the older ages, too. If it is a place you wan your child in for the long run.
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 2:14 PM
Nanny if you do back ground checks and stuff
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NappinSnackin
by New Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Thanks for the insight !

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:16 AM
I prefer daycare centers but there are crappy daycares like there are crappy nannies. I would do reference checks and a background check for a nanny, read reviews for daycare
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:44 AM
I liked a daycare center. I had no backup if the nanny was sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
booaura
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 1:41 AM
We have hired a nanny. I don't want my children in a daycare center.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:40 AM
Nanny. I'm not a fan of daycares.
JKronrod
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Pros and cons to each (and we've done both).  I generally like daycare IF it's a good one.  That usually means a "professional" as opposed to a "home" daycare, but there are good and bad ones of each type.  You simply have to really pay attention when you are looking AND keep paying attention.    One issue that can't be avoided is that your child will be sick frequently when  they start -- of course, after the first six months, if they are like my kids, they never get sick again (probably they've already been exposed to everything on the planet by that time, LOL). 

A nanny can be wonderful -- but remember even if she's amazing, she's only one person.  If she needs to use the toilet or whatever, she has to do what you do -- put the baby in the crib, etc.  Also, if she gets sick, you are out of luck.  She will, if she is good, pay more individual attention to your child -- read to him/her; talk with him/her, etc., but you have to be careful and monitor.  Also, you have no easy way (short of security cameras) to tell what is happening when you aren't there.  We have had a bad (truly horrible) experience with one nanny, but our last nanny was awesome, and all of our au pairs (they can only stay a maximum of two years in the U.S.) have been great.

If you want my opinion, for younger children I actually prefer daycare since it's not likely that anyone will do anything horribly wrong when there are multiple people responsible for the care.  We stillhave an au pair now -- she's actually our fifth au pair -- we've been doing this for a long time; but she's there to speak Japanese to the children and drive them to their various activities, and, since the children are older, if there were to be any problem, we'd definitely hear about it. 

rgba
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:10 AM
We have MIL and that has been an issue. I had to take a week off of work when she got the flu.

Quoting atlmom2: I liked a daycare center. I had no backup if the nanny was sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN