Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Would you let your teen drink at home?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:36 PM
  • 186 Replies

My son hasn't any interest in drinking after seeing what it did to his uncle's family (bil drank and became violent and shattered his family with it all - we still don't interact much with that part of the family even though he's sober and out of the picture now), but he's told me how many of his friends drink and with their parents' permission to do so as long as they're at their parents' home. I think this is just asking for trouble on so many levels. What do you think? Would you let YOUR teen drink at home?

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NeonGirl9583
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:37 PM
No. We don't drink beer in my house
KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:38 PM
8 moms liked this
I was allowed as a teen to have a beer or a glass of wine with dinner during special occasions with my parents. This didn't mean I could drink whenever I wanted. We plan to have the same rule for our children. But every kid is different and every parenting style is different.
fullxbusymom
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:45 PM
4 moms liked this

Yup we would allow them to try something if they wanted to.  Better they experiment in a safe environment than unsafely with friends.

offrdngal
by Terri on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this
No, I won't. If I find out that his dad let's him, while ge's at his house, there will be hell to pay.
xWonderWomanx
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:49 PM

If you did, would you then?

Quoting NeonGirl9583: No. We don't drink beer in my house

xWonderWomanx
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:51 PM

I could see wine or champagne as a very rare special thing, and then only a very little bit, maybe, but that's not what he's talking about here. He's talking about the parents going out and buying large quantities of alcohol and providing it to the kids at their house. It's the reason he came home from the last party rather than staying, because he didn't want to imbibe and felt pressed into doing so because the parents were even handing out cups full of beer to everyone.

Quoting KelliansMom: I was allowed as a teen to have a beer or a glass of wine with dinner during special occasions with my parents. This didn't mean I could drink whenever I wanted. We plan to have the same rule for our children. But every kid is different and every parenting style is different.

xWonderWomanx
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:51 PM
2 moms liked this

How do you know allowing them to try it at home will prevent them from trying more things elsewhere?

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Yup we would allow them to try something if they wanted to.  Better they experiment in a safe environment than unsafely with friends.

Kaya529
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:55 PM
5 moms liked this
I will when he gets older but not to the extent that your son's friend's parents are doing it. The point will be to teach him responsible drinking, not push binge drinking.
xWonderWomanx
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I'm already pretty ticked at these kids' parents for providing it to them - he's 13! - but even if they were family, I'd be pissed. As it was, I warned them to stop or the cops would be finding out. I'm only giving them 1 chance as a favor to my husband, who's friends with the dad. If it doesn't stop, well, they can deal with contributing to the delinquency of minors.

Quoting offrdngal: No, I won't. If I find out that his dad let's him, while ge's at his house, there will be hell to pay.

momabear45
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:56 PM

No my kids are living at home and I would never allow them to drink at home. I agree with you 100% it will only stir up trouble. I don't think I would allow my kid around people like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN