Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Would you let your teen drink at home?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son hasn't any interest in drinking after seeing what it did to his uncle's family (bil drank and became violent and shattered his family with it all - we still don't interact much with that part of the family even though he's sober and out of the picture now), but he's told me how many of his friends drink and with their parents' permission to do so as long as they're at their parents' home. I think this is just asking for trouble on so many levels. What do you think? Would you let YOUR teen drink at home?

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:36 PM
Replies (181-186):
KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I wont be serveing his friends or anything like that. But my parents took the taboo out of beer and wine which made it less of a thing I needed/wanted to do. 

Quoting Mom2BandCJ:

Quoting KelliansMom: I was allowed as a teen to have a beer or a glass of wine with dinner during special occasions with my parents. This didn't mean I could drink whenever I wanted. We plan to have the same rule for our children. But every kid is different and every parenting style is different.

I was raised in a European home where a small glass of wine or a bit of beer at a family event were not taboo.  And we raised our kids the same way.

Personally I'd rather they not feel a big mystique about alcohol.

As for serving my kids friends, absolutley not!

redhotdot
by New Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 3:09 AM
No!!! We did thinking it was ok a sip
Here a taste there.
My so became an alcoholic as an adult. I will always blame myself.
Maverick1957
by Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 7:11 PM

From around 11, we would let SS have a small glass of wine when we were having a nice dinner.  Our goal was to teach him about paring wines with meals.  Later, around 15, DH would let him have a beer or 2 after working hard in the yard.  Unfortunately, by 16 he began drinking while he was out.  By 17...worse.  By 18 he had an alcohol problem.  He got bad drunk one night earlier this year, went ballistic on DH, I called police, he was arrested, spent 55 days in jail for underage intoxication, resisting arrest, assault on an officer.  Then he went to 2 wks of rehab for alcoholism.   I wish we'd NEVER allowed to have anything at  home & punished him when he drank outside the home.  You just never know when someone has genes to become alcoholic (he's adopted).

To answer you, NO I would not let SS drink anything in our home again until he's 21.   Also, when I lived in Birmingham, a local mom provided alcohol for her son's grad party.  Someone called police, she was arrested, convicted & served jail time for allowing underage drinking.  We have NEVER allowed other friends of SS's to drink in our home.  YOU could be held accountable if you do.

Stand your ground on this & thank the Good Lord your son has no interest in drinking.  Hopefully, it will stay that way.  

rainbowsrock
by Member on Sep. 22, 2014 at 10:08 AM

No and my decision has nothing to do with alcohol itself. I want to raise my kids to have respect for the law and understand laws are put in place for our safety. I will not help them break our laws. When they are legal age they can drink in my home if they do it responsibly. 

firefly669
by New Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:51 PM

When my daughter grows up, if shes curious about drinking, i think i would let her experiment at home better than out on the street where i have no idea what anyone could be giving her. Yet I already talk to her about how sick she can become later on in life with the consumption of alcohol. I am planning on making her do the research on the conscuences of drinking alcohol as soon as she starts getting curious... thats my oipnionlesbians

Mommy03050708
by Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Nope

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN