Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

child has lead poisoning, city coming to my house, landlord blames us

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 5:29 AM
  • 45 Replies
I took my son to the doctos a week ago for a blood test, the doctors called me back saying it was an emergency. I got there and they said my sons lead level is the highest theyve ever seen, it was 20. So they called the City to do a health inspection friday Aug. 15th. A lady called me and said when the City comes out shes going to come with them and question my son, hes 3. Im scared. I have a daughter, will they try to take my children away because of the lead poisoning???? Is she apart of CPS? I dont know what to do...... Also I told the landlord and he blamed us! He and his family said it was our fault, saying the reason was because we had cats and the cats litter box is where the lead is coming from. His wife has always told me she doesnt like cats.I gave him a paper to read on lead, he refuse to read it, his daughter was very disrespectful screaming at me saying "We want you out!!! You guys have to leave, this is your fault, move!!!!!!!"
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 5:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmorales7690
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 5:33 AM
2 moms liked this
I would get every surfact checked for lead paint immediately, did your lease agreement have in there that there is a possibility of lead paint or pipes? I know ours did when we moved into an older house. If there isnt then your landlord is going to take the fall for everything because it was h7s obligation to remove the lead or warn you.
Lovely_Me23
by New Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 5:45 AM
2 moms liked this
I dont even think he knows what lead its, he blamed it on the cat litter
Bresmom13
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this

How old is your landlord? Im sure he is old enough to know what lead base paint is and like the other post, if he rents units he must know what lead is. By their reactions they are very aware what it is and thats why they want you out. You probably open up a can of worms and they are trying to keep you blind sided by blaming your cat. Ammonia is from cat urine. lol

-PB
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Is the house pretty old?  Sounds like the landlord is lashing out because he is afraid that he is going to get in some trouble with the city.  I would go ahead and start looking for a new place to live.  Based on his behavior I would say the landlord will probably try to find some way to evict you.  Of course, if he did it would be unlawful and you could fight it but why would you want to stay, kwim?  Even if he doesn't, you don't want your kids in that environment.  I would try to get out of there asap.  Do you have someone you can stay with for a couple weeks?  I would think cps will not take your kids in this case.  Lead poisoning most often comes from paint.  It can also be in the air or dust around your house but that's not your fault.  Its your landlord's problem.

Lovely_Me23
by New Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Landlord is 60. We always pay rent on time and have never had any problems with them. I really dont think they know what lead is they just kept saying it was the cats fault. I told them it could be in the walls or the water pipes. The daughter swore I was lying saying "We wash the walls before you moved in, we changed the pipes. Its the cats!" I told the landlord how dangerous lead was he shrugged and said "Its no big deal"
BradleysMom2014
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:34 AM
2 moms liked this

Sounds like landlord doesn't want legal issues...

Go find your lease and check it for anything stating lead, do not withhold rent, continue to pay on time. Call the doctor, and your local health department. See if there is anything you can do.

nurse1997
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Hi doll cats do not have lead in litter and they want you out now because they have a problem. U should get a 30 day notice and I would fight this ! Cps could of been called make sure the house is clean ,etc do not give them any thing to use against you if this is really from the paint.Good Luck 

quinnsmom715
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:47 AM

lead from cat litter?is your landlord high?he is going to get a big fine.i dont know if you will stay there but if your sons level was that high,your landlord is fucked..

Corieva
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I'd get a lawyer while I was at it.

AjMorczek
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL It's not the cat box!!! I would make sure they check EVERY SINGLE SURFACE!!! And when it comes back, give him a COPY. If you signed a lease agreement go over it with a fine tooth comb or get a free legal consult, and get your options, if they're neglecting the property and causing issues in mostds states you can get away without the penaltys of breaking a lease.

If it comes back nothing you did your kids should be fine - as long as you move. I'd personally move now anyways, they sound very rude and disrespectful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN