Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Help. How much would you charge

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:29 AM
  • 37 Replies
A local mom asked me if I would watch her daughter, first grade,, after school. It would be from 3-8pm. I would be responsible for snacks, dinner homework and baths. 5 days a week.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. But also not sure how to price it. The local after school program runs until 6pm no homework help and you provide snacks they are $175 per week.

SSo what would you expect to pay or charge?
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:36 AM
I'd offer her a lower price if she provided snacks and dinner or higher if she doesn't.

I'd hate to over charge but you have to make it worth your time.

Do you have room in your car for an extra child for errands, apts, activities, ect?
Mrs.Urquhart
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:37 AM
Probably 100 a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:52 AM
She does not want to. Provide food.

And yes I have room in my car. But I would not be going anywhere, except to pick up another child I watch from prek. It would seriously put a damper on our lifestyle during the week :/

Quoting lilmama8408: I'd offer her a lower price if she provided snacks and dinner or higher if she doesn't.

I'd hate to over charge but you have to make it worth your time.

Do you have room in your car for an extra child for errands, apts, activities, ect?
mommaFruFru
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh wow. I definitely would not do it for that.

I used to charge $100 a week when I watched infants and parents supplied all items, and normal working hours

Quoting Mrs.Urquhart: Probably 100 a week.
PeachQuean
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:00 AM
Average rate for babysitting in my area is $15 to $18 an hour. Most I've noticed charge/pay about $16.50

That's what I'd charge.
fullxbusymom
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I would charge $150 a week.  Why would it put a damper on your lifestyle during the week?  Why not just take the child with you if you want to go somewhere?

kgbm13
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Your already doing a meal and snack for own child so not hard to add the one more but bath and costs yes cost.  I would think $200 a week would be comperable to after school program

fullxbusymom
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:23 AM

HOLY CRAP!!  Are you joking?  My sitter gets $5 an hour?  My daycare I charge $4.50 an hour or $180 full time and half price for siblings. 

Quoting PeachQuean: Average rate for babysitting in my area is $15 to $18 an hour. Most I've noticed charge/pay about $16.50 That's what I'd charge.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Idk if I would do it.

That's a heavy load, all week. In addition to your own kids' routines, homework, and meals. Do your own kids play sports or anything? Cripes.

Anyway- did she mention what she thought she would pay? I guess I'm lucky we have a few aftercare choices here. None til 8 though- so I get it.  :(

PeachQuean
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:28 AM
Nope. Dead serious that what the babysitting rates are here in my Northern Ontario city.

I just signed up on the babysitting site to see who in my area babysits, and that's going rate.

Which makes sense, when I.babysat a few yrs ago.it was at $10 an hour.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

HOLY CRAP!!  Are you joking?  My sitter gets $5 an hour?  My daycare I charge $4.50 an hour or $180 full time and half price for siblings. 

Quoting PeachQuean: Average rate for babysitting in my area is $15 to $18 an hour. Most I've noticed charge/pay about $16.50

That's what I'd charge.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN