Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My 1 year old fell of the bed head first

Posted by   + Show Post
He hits his head constantly. 4 days ago he hit his head on the tub. I called my doctor and the told me what to look for. Now today I turn around for a split second and he takes a header off the bed. He cried for a few minutes. He has a small bruis on his forehead. But he ate and was laughing and smiling at me. Do I need to take Jim to the er or doctor? I heard his head thud on the floor. Also why does it seem like he is always falling and bumping his head?
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Replies (31-38):
LauraBee46
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Babies do that; and because their heads are massive in comparison to their little bodies, they always fall head-first.  Most babies, especially once they start crawling and walking, take LOTS of tumbles.  It was stressful for me, the constant worry what my daughter would fall onto or bump into next.  And, it doesn't end at toddlerhood.  I volunteered in my daughter's classroom K through 2nd Grade, and, I swear, kids would just randomly fall off of their chairs.  I think it's nature's way of teaching them the laws of physics.  Now, my daughter is 11, and she's still a clutz.  I've finally determined that this is just part of growth and development.  And, if she's anything like me, she'll never grow out of it.  Lemme tell you, it takes real talent to trip on a flat surface.  :)

LauraBee46
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 5:30 PM

My daughter, when she first started walking, discovered that, if she could get a secure toe-hold on something, that she could climb on it.  I never lifted her up on anything--not even the monkey bars at the playground--yet, her favorite place to be seemed to be squatting on top of my kitchen counter, eating whatever fruit happened to be in the fruit basket at the time.  Kids are monkeys. 

Quoting janessa27:

If her 1 year old is anything like mine- then he is constantly climbing everything. My youngest climbs on his brothers bottom bunk all the time, chairs, couch, even the table! lol

OP- I would just watch him close and make sure he acted ok:)

Quoting VinVanMom: Because he's 1! You can't leave him On the bed or counter. Safest place is the floor. He's still a baby

Bmat
by Barb on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:16 PM

How is he today?

trin123
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this
He is fine. Thanks for asking

Quoting Bmat:

How is he today?

judykay1944
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 1:56 AM

I had one of my kids in the bed with me, I reached over to get something off the end table and he went off the other side of the bed in a flash. It happens and kids get hurt. It happens in a split second. I learned my lesson well not to put kids on bed if I am not sitting right next to them or have them by the shirt or diaper.I used to think my one grand kids was going to have some real problems the way he used to run and bang his head. I got him a helmet lol AND his mother had him wear it too.  I don't think anyone was making accusations they were just telling you the truth lol Don't out a kid on the bed and blink your eyes, and that us the truth.

ElenaC08
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 3:54 AM
All it takes is a split second. Next time put him down. Hes one it happens.
cafay
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 9:19 AM

My son broke his collarbone when he was 2. I knew something was wrong,only by the way he would not stop crying. Go with your gut. If he is acting fine, he proably is. If he acts different in any way,take him to the dr. Good luck Momma.Babys just don't have the best balance. But accidents happen.

Starlit_Eyes
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Both of mine seemed to favor bumping their heads for the longest. especailly around that age! I DD had ckimbed onto the couch and fell head first onto a dumbell that sticking out a lil bit from under the couch arm. Thankfully she only got a goose egg on her forhead but i had took her to the er anyway becuse it was a dumbbell she fell on. I would at least call a nurse hotline to  see what they suggest. Depending on how high he was ans the kind of floors you have

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN