Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

wrong to leave.kids in car with all windows down?

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 6:29 PM
  • 238 Replies
1 mom liked this
Ok I realize there are a terrible spate of poor kids left in hot cars dying... then the mom arrested for leaving her son for 5 minutes...

But if I leave ALL the windows down, completely OPEN and go to the Atm, or gas station attendant, is th is still an actual danger? As in I can visually see my car and even hear them.. the atm ten feet away. What do you ladies do? I have 5 year okd, 3 year old and tiny baby.... obviously I dont want them to bw kidnapped out of the car. Do you unpack all your kids to pay for gas or run 1 minute errands at the atm??
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 6:30 PM
5 moms liked this
Yes, or I leave them with another adult. My husband and parents have never left children in cars either. I was maybe fourteen when I get left in the car for the first time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Adnalor
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 6:42 PM
5 moms liked this
Find a drive up ATM? I've left my daughter to go to the ATM if I'm standing right next to the car. Not if it's far. I lock the doors and she's fine. I pay at the pump for gas.
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 6:44 PM
15 moms liked this
As long as we can see the car we just leave them. Seems kind of silly to unload 9 kids just to go pay for gas or go do something really quick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 6:46 PM
2 moms liked this

No. It is fine IMHO.

GodsAmiga
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 6:53 PM
2 moms liked this

My husband left our daughter in the car for the ATM once. He literally could turn around and touch the car. The lady behind him turned out to be a CPS worker and she warned him that any of her colleagues would have called the police and tried to have our daughter taken from him. :-/ So we play it safe.

alliemom4ever
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this
For something like pumping gas or anything 10 feet or so, I leave windows open. I don't think you can get in trouble if you are right there
Starlit_Eyes
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:03 AM
2 moms liked this

I've actually left my mkids with our family pet (gard dog) in the car windows up and AC blasting to go pay for gas with no worries. But my dog is very protective and I don't see anyone willing to risk limbs over my car. Also yea i've left them alone with keys on me to pay for gas.

disneymom2two
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:05 AM
4 moms liked this

I've always taken my kids out (well, I don't make my son now at 16 but I still do my 8 year old) when I get out of the car unless I'm pumping gas right next to it and paying at the pump.  When I have my daughter and several of her friends, they all get out.  Inconvenient?  Of course but oh well.  Either I take everyone or I go at a different time when there's someone to watch my daughter.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:18 AM
2 moms liked this

Pay at the pump.  Go to ATM when your dh is around and you don't have to take the kids. 

TigressLily
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:32 AM
6 moms liked this

I would take my kids with me. It only takes a couple seconds for someone to jump in the car with the kids and take off with them, or for them to kill the kids etc., and there wouldn't be a thing I could do about it if I was inside a store even if I saw it happen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN