Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms
I am continuously having to check myself with my 2 1/2 yr old son's behavior. Like I expect him to act like a grown up. Sigh I feel so bad because we love in a small apartment and no yard to play in. I get upset inside when he kicks his ball and it hits something or if he takes put all his toys at once or shrieks as he plays or just plays like a 2 yr old. I have to tell myself to calm down. Please tell me I am not alone and how I can wind myself down!
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 3:27 PM
Replies (21-21):
copasetic1
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this

If he's kicking/throwing balls and stuff, make sure they are soft, like nerf balls. If he has toys out already, and he is abandoning them and getting more, help him put the first toys away. Make sure he puts at least some of it away himself. Make it fun, and praise him. If he shrieks, kindly teach him about indoor voice and outdoor voice. He will not learn these things instantly. It will take time. He may learn them, and have to relearn them. But he will never learn them if you don't teach him. If his problem is that he has a lot of energy, then play active games with him. Dance with him. Take him for walks, if it's safe. Normal 2 year olds can be a real handful, but parents teach them more appropriate behavior. It's the only way they can learn it. So you aren't wrong at all for getting upset, especially since you're keeping it inside. You have good instincts, but they're upsetting because Mom's are so guilty for setting any limits on their kids nowadays. If you get upset, take a moment to breathe, put a smile on your face, and teach. Use your indoor voice, like this, remember? Oh, that was so much better! Here, let's put these toys away before you get anymore out. Oh, that looks so nice now! Usually, when teaching little ones, the best method is to get up and do something (but never in anger).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN