Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Should your babysitter

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 5:57 PM
  • 55 Replies

Bring her own food or eat yours? 

i have a sitter that comes for 5 hour stretches atmy house. 5 hours from 9:30-2:30 or sometimes 3:30-8:30. 

She will typically eat stuff out of my fridge. Sometimes she will have a bowl of cereal, make popcorn, make pasta or a sandwich. She eats things my kids dont... So its not like she is making mac and cheese for them and having some.... I dont typically care. Its never bothered me until today. But today she ate something i was saving for tonights dinner. 

So it got me wondering... What would you expect? Bringing her own food? 

by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 6:00 PM
I always made dinner and offered her some and then told her the popcorn and kids snacks were for her and them. Granted she has eaten half a load of bread in sandwiches and made 1-2 boxes of Mac n cheese on top of what I had already made
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 6:00 PM
I always made dinner and offered her some and then told her the popcorn and kids snacks were for her and them. Granted she has eaten half a load of bread in sandwiches and made 1-2 boxes of Mac n cheese on top of what I had already made
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 6:04 PM
7 moms liked this

I do not bring my own food. When I hired sitters they were told to help themself. If there was something I didnt want them to eat I told them. I think it would be extremely rude to ask them to bring their own food.

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Whenever we need a sitter we provide food. I just let them know what we dont want them using.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NeonGirl9583
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 6:08 PM
When I babysitted I was told to eat what they had. The kids ate a lunch able everyday. I would usually fix a sand which.
ZombieMeat37
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 7:16 PM
Have you told her what she can and can't eat?
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 7:17 PM
No, my sitters help themselves to what I have. I slap a piece of tape and write " for dinner" if I'm saving something. This goes for a full day or a night out
fullxbusymom
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:31 PM

I expect them to eat my food it is part of the job imo. 

applesnbananas
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:40 PM
I bring my own as well as lunch for my dd... Mainly because the house is filthy and I want my good in my own containers and the peace of mind knowing it's sanitary.
-PB
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 9:03 PM

I only had one in-home sitter and I always invited her to eat whatever but she almost never did.  If she did eat she would always tell me like "I had half a bagel with cream cheese...hope you don't mind".  I always took it as part of the job.  I baby sat when I was a teenager and I never ate crazy amounts of food but if I made something for the kids like mac n cheese I would eat a little bit too.

Maybe next time just put a sticky note on it with "please don't eat" or something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)