• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Was this a hard age for your child?

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:30 AM
  • 7 Replies

My oldest son is 5.5 and his behavior started to get really bad about 6 months ago. He's acting out, showing a lot of anger, screaming and throwing tantrums like a two year old! when I say things, he never listens and his attention is like a pin ball in a pin ball machine. He was a really good 2-3 year old, so maybe this is just his "bad" age? Was this a difficult age for any of your kids? I feel like he's in time out more than he isnt. Its exhausting. I should also add that when he just turned 4, he became and older sibling. My younger son is now 17 months old. 

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
GodsAmiga
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:35 AM

My oldest is 6 and she had a really hard time at 5. I chalked it up, though, to her dad being deployed.

amc103
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Thanks for the feedback! Was there anything that you did to sort of coax her out of it? When did things change for the better?

Quoting GodsAmiga:

My oldest is 6 and she had a really hard time at 5. I chalked it up, though, to her dad being deployed.

momoftwo902
by New Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this
From the time my middle son started kindergarten to the last day of first grade he had a really rough time which in turn made me have a really rough time.
MomtoAlexis05
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Give him time, this is a trying period for him w/ your l.o. He probably feels not at ease w/ the situation and mb acting out out of jealousy and to get your atten. I'd pick your battles, that way you won't be so overwhelmed w/ him as well as maybe change up his punishments. Have him write sentences, take away toys/privilages etc. Let us know how it works out for you !

Quoting amc103:

My oldest son is 5.5 and his behavior started to get really bad about 6 months ago. He's acting out, showing a lot of anger, screaming and throwing tantrums like a two year old! when I say things, he never listens and his attention is like a pin ball in a pin ball machine. He was a really good 2-3 year old, so maybe this is just his "bad" age? Was this a difficult age for any of your kids? I feel like he's in time out more than he isnt. Its exhausting. I should also add that when he just turned 4, he became and older sibling. My younger son is now 17 months old. 

GodsAmiga
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly the only thing that made her really change back to herself was her dad coming home. Cuddles and one on one time would work for maybe a hour or so but that was it. She was just too upset. She started telling me he wasn't coming home and didn't want to be home anymore. Nothing either Of us said or did changed her mind until he was home.

Quoting amc103:

Thanks for the feedback! Was there anything that you did to sort of coax her out of it? When did things change for the better?

Quoting GodsAmiga:

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:40 AM
1 mom liked this

well mine is 6 and sometimes its like I am already talking to a teenager.

amc103
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Thanks so much, ladies, for all the tips and advice! I appreciate it! Its nice to hear that other people go through it too. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)