Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

License & Car

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:46 AM
  • 6 Replies

DD will get her license Monday. She was 16  in March but due to attitude her father and I would not let her get it. She went with her dad yesterday to the local car lots. After visiting them all she found a Ford Taurus that she liked. I did not care what car she chooses it has to be reliable and safe. Her dad is only a Chevy, GM or Ford man LOL. We told her we would match what she had to get a decent used car. The car will be in her name the insurance in her dad's name(so it will not be as expensive). She will have to pay the insurance and gas. She has $4000 so we will each contribute $2000. She will have to pay for tags, title etc. After everything is added it up it is almost $9200. Her father feels like he can negotiate for a lower price. But if he can't get it down to $8000 should we pay the difference? It is a good car in good condition-on the test drive her dad swung by his mechanics house and he looked it over.

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:54 PM
I think it is fair for you to pay the difference. It sounds like she was responsible in saving $4000 and will be helping pay for the car, ins, etc
SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:57 AM

I really hope dd;s father can't get the price down to $8000. I am still out of work and my boss will not let me come back until the doc releases me. 

booaura
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:03 PM
If that's how you want to do it, I guess its fair. My parents bought me my car straight out when I turned 16., that's what we'll do with our kids as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaLama710
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:32 PM
It sounds fair, but there are other reliable affordable cars out there. I wouldn't do anything that could put myself in a bad financial situation if I was already out of work.
lizanne417
by New Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:52 PM

We will be doing the same thing with our children (matching their savings), if she wants a $9200 car, then I would suggest she saves some more money!  You agreed to match, that's what you should do!

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:53 PM
This

Quoting MamaLama710: It sounds fair, but there are other reliable affordable cars out there. I wouldn't do anything that could put myself in a bad financial situation if I was already out of work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)