Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I believe my son has a dairy allergy.

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:26 AM
  • 11 Replies

Since stopping all dairy ,he's been sleeping most nights only waking once... instead of three times... screaming and crying usually at the same times...... His butt rash has cleared and his diareah has stopped and he's back to soild poops. YAY.

We stopped cheese and yogurt,(his favourites) formula, and milk in baby foods.
He now drinks oat milk in a bottle at night and sipper cup during the day. We spent a lot of time looking on food labels for dairy free foods and snacks and bought him some calcium tablets which he gets once a day. Being a one yr old boy almost walking 100% he think he's can run and I don't want brittle bones from lack of calcium... 

He's getting tested on the 20th August.. and I will know for sure. 

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:34 AM

I hope he continues to feel much better.  Oat milk is one I haven't heard of. I recently tried coconut and almond milk- I checked the labels on these to confirm they had good calcium content.

rockchickmom
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Rice milk is better for calcium but he loves oat milk and its the first thing other than formula he has drank. Coconut milk costs about 3 times as much as oat milk, so I won't buy it. And I don't give my son anything with nuts..including almond milk as I'm allergic to nuts, And I dont know how he will go with it. But he's also one, so almond/nut milk is not good for babies. Oat milk is more natural, and because my son has never drank anything else until trying oat milk.. Oat milk it is. lol.
And thanks I hope he isn't allergic to milk...it's very hard to find dairy free foods and he loves yoghurt and cheese and has since he was five months old.. :( I'm hoping they say it's something else...  

Bmat
by Barb on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I see what you mean about the almond milk! I didn't even think of it as being a food with nuts. Since you are allergic for sure it should be avoided. I think I've seen dairy free cheese in the supermarket, but I wasn't looking for it so could be mistaken. Please let us know what you find out about your little one?

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Im lactose intolerant and drink rice milk. :)
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this
My 20 month has a diary allergy. We drink almond milk ( one of the best milks you can drink), I breastfed him for 18 months, avoid dairy, etc. I avoid dairy anyways so it was good thing since I nursed him. I'm also glad I breastfed him so we didn't have to fight with different formulas. We are super careful about what he eats.
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:49 PM

I am glad he is feeling better.  Good luck with the testing.  Even if it comes back that he doesn't have a dairy allergy he may have an intolerence so stopping dairy will still be good in that case. 

kzoboe
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:25 AM

I think you have figured it out.  you could try re-introducing a bit of dairy to see if his symptoms recur.

I see no need for milk in the diet anyway--only humans drink the milk of another species......just not sure it is necessary.

rockchickmom
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 3:22 AM

I think so. but getting him officially checked. we are thinking about trying him again...but scared of the night screaming, it's not fun for him or us.

MusherMaggie
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:23 PM
You will also need to be sure that he gets out in the sun every day or supplement with Vitamin D (Just D or Carlson's are best) to help with calcium absorption.
rockchickmom
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 5:32 AM

Rembrandt gets a calcium/vit d supplement until we know for sure what's going on with him. I've been recently diagnosed with lupus and I can go out in the sun much at all. I'm allergic to SUNSCREEN, yay. Lupus causes a lot of problems including sun sensitivity.I try to get out now (winter) as much as possible before summer, as I hate summer anyway and usually stay indoors with ac, so staying out of the sun is something i do as much as possible in summer time...
So he gets a supplement once a day...for now. I'm trying to work a good diet until we see the peads and go from there...

Quoting MusherMaggie: You will also need to be sure that he gets out in the sun every day or supplement with Vitamin D (Just D or Carlson's are best) to help with calcium absorption.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)