Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hypothyroidism in pregnancy scare - worried!

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:58 PM
  • 5 Replies

Not sure if anyone will be able to help me on this, more looking for experiences than advice but I am 30 weeks pregnant and have hypothyroidism. Been taking synthroid for about a year but obviously currently too low of a dose. My Dr called me urgently on Friday telling me my level is 5 (apparently normal range is 100) so i'm upping my dose. But i'm terrified with everything I read and hear about what a low thyroid can do to a baby in utero. Not so much concerned with myself or the miscarriage/ still birth as everything is showing to be great through ultrasound and tests but the much larger chance this will affect the babies brain development.
I'm more concerned that my thyroid levels have potentially been low this whole time which means the baby has gotten near what it should. Has anyone else been diagnosed much later in pregnancy or found drastic level changes in third trimester? Did this have any effects on your pregnancy or baby? Or if anyone has any knowledge on this i'd appreciate it as what i've come across is a bit scary but i also am trying to remind myself it's worst case scenario....

Thank you!

Jen

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
firecat8301
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:20 PM

I just spoke to my mother.  She was diagnosed with hypthyroidism when she was 21.  Since then she has had three more kids.  My brother's ages are 28, 22. and 6.  The 28 yr old is in the Navy and healthy.  The 22 yr old is in the Marines and healthy.  The 6 yr old has ADHD but other than that he is healthy.  She did tell me that her dosage got upped from 125 to 150 during the third trimester. 

My mom did tell me to tell you to keep taking your medicine as directed.

funhappymom
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 7:31 AM

Something to keep in mind, your body will use what it needs to grow a baby, and starve itself. I say that to say, try not to worry too much. If everything is looking good for baby, chances are it is ok. As your doctor for a recheck of your thyroid in a week or two and see if your numbers are going up. (((HUGS)))

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Just be sure you get checked frequently! Things should be ok! Hugs!

Caryss_mommy
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 9:44 PM

I went through an entire pregnancy with hypo untreated and unmedicated (I didn't even know I had it). I had a good OB that kept a close eye on me, though, because I DID have some complications, but nothing that hurt the baby. I had gestational diabetes, super low iron, preeclampsia, low amniotic fluid and my baby stayed breech ( I believe it was because she didn't have enough amniotic fluid in there to turn. It was VERY low). They ended up having to do a scheduled C-section to deliver her a month early because they said that the preeclampsia could cause seizures and my amniotic fluid staying so consistently low wasn't healthy either. She came out perfectly healthy, and still is. She will be 2 next month. The only real issue we had when she was born was her blood sugar was dangerously low. I was diagnosed with hypo nearly a month ago and I believe I've had it since I was a young child. I have found out since my diagnosis that many of my pregnancy complications probably stemmed from being untreated because it causes a lot of the complications I had!!

If the wind will not serve, take to the oars.

SCARS remind us of where we've BEEN but they don't have to dictate where we're GOING.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Aug. 11, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Good luck!

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)