Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Leg shaving? when is a good age?

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:27 PM
  • 7 Replies
My DD, just turned 9, has been mentioning to me that she is insecure about her leg hair. I think she notices it more bc most of her friends are very light skinned, blonde haired they don't seem to have ugh of an issue. DD is very Italian we have dark hair. I feel bad and I don't want that to be something she worries about, she is developing and has recently started using deodorant and wearing a training bra. My questions are this, is she too young to shave? And if anyone has been through this what hair removal method did you use? I feel like razors are a bit harsh with the razor burn and everything. I've seen some hair remover products in the store like that "no no" and stuff. Has anyone tried these, they look safer to me then a razor.
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
strictmomhere
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:19 PM
My girls were eight they have very thick black hair on there legs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:46 PM
I would say after 13
GodsAmiga
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:51 PM

My girls are still little but I was 10. My mom told me I should start shaving a little bit after I started my period. She taught me how to safely use a razor and showed me how to shave my legs and armpits. I never had any issues with it and only got razor burn when shaving dry which my mom had warned me about.

CCMommy
by New Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:22 PM
My mom was the worst which is why I really don't want to screw this up. She never explained anything and I always ended up figuring things out on my own. I feel like 9 is young but I really don't want something so silly being the thing that lowers her self esteem. She asked again last night. I told her we would talk about it a bit.
MusherMaggie
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:30 PM
The depilatories are harsh chemicals that you don't want on her skin or breathing. An electric razor is safest, or a Flicker. Use a good moisturizing shaving cream, moisturize well afterwards, too. I had dark leg hair at that age, on light skin, but my mom wouldn't let me shave until I was twelve. I could have done it much sooner!
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:32 PM
Mine were 12. It gets old fast and once you start you can't stop.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Aug. 11, 2014 at 3:53 PM

That was the age I was when my mom started letting me use an electric shaver to shave my legs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)