Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birthday Parties - How long is too long?

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:33 PM
  • 15 Replies

My dear friend has birthday parties for her kids that last over 5 hours.

Recently we stayed 3 hours and tried to make a polite exit, and she was asking me if I had been offended by anything or if her son was playing nicely with mine.

We'd had pizza; the kids played; we sang happy birthday, and watched her dd open her gifts.

I have 3 kids (and 4 pets) of my own. I have a house, and that day I had a husband who was working the weekend and wanted to get home to make him dinner.

My family really enjoys the company of her family. She is my best friend, and I feel honored that she invites us to her parties where she only invites family and close friends. We always have a good time, and there is always good food, and she is an excellent host.

But we've known them for over 10 years, and whether it's a birthday, anniversary, halloween, or pre-Christmas gathering....it ALWAYS lasts more than 5 hours.

If her parents and inlaws (or anyone else for that matter) wants to party on for 5-plus hours, all the power to them.

BUT, every time we leave, it's always, "Do you have to leave so soon?"  We've stayed 5 hours before, and had them ask that.

I was really busy and told her that, and that we enjoyed ourselves.  I thought 3 hours was sufficient. I mean, most birthday parties last 2 -3 hours as far as I know. I've never been to a kid's birthday party lasting longer than that. My own parties never last longer than that; even if we don't put a time limit on it, and we're home, people usually tend to start leaving after about 2 hours.

Maybe that means I'm not as good of a host or my food isn't as good! Ha ha. But the point is, why should she be offended if we leave after a good 3 hours?

This part of her parties is very uncomfortable. I appreciate the work she's done and that this is an important day for whatever the occasion, but really, I have a life too!

How long would you expect your guests to stay at a child's birthday party?

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:34 PM
2 hours are more than enough.
Firenygirl180
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:39 PM
I love having parties and having people over, but after 2-3 hours I'm ready for people to clear out. We are havinga bbq Saturday starting at 3:30, dinner is planned for 5:30 and a bonfire after. The thing is some friends, with young kids, will come early to play and stay to eat then go home, others will come to eat and stay for the fire.

I'd say 3 hours max for a kids party. I spend the morning getting ready and the evening cleaning. family can stay longer though
buttersworth
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Well I feel bad because I feel like she's treating us like family in a way. But heck, even my own siblings leave after about 3 or 4 hours because they've got things to do at home too! I don't know too many people who can often sit for an entire day. You know? You're right too, you've got the before and after clean-up when you're the host.

Quoting Firenygirl180: I love having parties and having people over, but after 2-3 hours I'm ready for people to clear out. We are havinga bbq Saturday starting at 3:30, dinner is planned for 5:30 and a bonfire after. The thing is some friends, with young kids, will come early to play and stay to eat then go home, others will come to eat and stay for the fire. I'd say 3 hours max for a kids party. I spend the morning getting ready and the evening cleaning. family can stay longer though

HIJKLM
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:55 PM
For my BFF 5hrs would be nothing... Most other people, 4hrs tops
ladyvamp5489
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:57 PM

we only have them for 2 hours.

LoveMyBoyK
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:59 PM
2 hrs tops, IMO, for the actual party (not including set up or clean up). And I have not let ds open his presents at parties in the past but now that he is going to be 5 I might start allowing it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
buttersworth
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:34 PM

I noticed a few years back at kids' parties that parents stopped letting the kids open the gifts. I couldn't figure it out then someone told me that's because if you're renting a place to have the party, they don't want to use up the time opening gifts. Such as a Chuck E Cheese or roller skating place....let the kids use up the time. Then that made sense to me, though I was always disappointed that i didn't get to see if the child liked the gift. After all, I'd really thought about what to get and wanted to know if I got the right thing. You can always tell how much they like something by the expression on their face, their excitement. I think as kids get older and pick out gifts for their friends, they sometimes want to know too. Or to play with the gift with their friend! This is a fairly new trend I think, in the last 10 years, but honestly, I like it when they open the gifts in front of the givers....unless it's money. If the honoree opens a card, reads it, and then closes it, I've always assumed it's money. I think showing off the money is taboo, though kids might do it if their moms arent' supervising.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK: 2 hrs tops, IMO, for the actual party (not including set up or clean up). And I have not let ds open his presents at parties in the past but now that he is going to be 5 I might start allowing it.

Momofmenagerie
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:19 PM
Probably no more than three and a half. It is really easy to say we had a great time but little Johnny is tired and will be getting cranky soon.
myblessingsrjoy
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:00 PM

I schedule and plan on guest for about 2 hours, sometimes it spills over and last 3.  They are exhausting so I don't think I would want it to last 5 hours. Adult birthday parties tend to be longer around here.

sarahfaith123
by Sarah on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:26 PM
Stay at one for 2-3. Have one for 4. If I'm at my parents' or for Christmas I stay all day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)