Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Putting your child in the front seat, illegal or highly unrecommended?

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:11 AM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this
I'd like to deliver a bed I sold in my van. It will fit if all the seats lay down but I'd have to put my 2 yo in the front seat. She lives less than a mile from here in the small town we live in. Afterward id move him back but is it illegal for him to be in the front? He'll be seen because we'd be in town, I live in wisconsin.
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:15 AM

It is not illegal if that is the only seat available.  Kidswho ride in pick-up trucksride in the front.  However, in that situation, I don't think I would do it.  Can you put the mattress on the roof?

whatssleep
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:26 AM
Hmmm I don't have a rack up there and it's a high reach but possibly the roof would work. I was looking up laws they are so unclear. The only thing they're clear on is needing a car seat but where the seat has to be located isn't very clear.

Quoting jackiewal10:

It is not illegal if that is the only seat available.  Kidswho ride in pick-up trucksride in the front.  However, in that situation, I don't think I would do it.  Can you put the mattress on the roof?

Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:29 AM
Can the matteress fit vertically? Then, you won't have to take the middle seat out.
nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Call your local police station and ask them.

I am sure they would be more than happy to help.

-PB
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:33 PM

I would say in this case, probably yes it is illegal.  Can you get someone to babysit for an hour?

FlyingMommy747
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Take a look at this link: http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/vehicle/child/laws.htm

He needs to be in the back seat if so equiped, so yes it would be illegal.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:13 PM
I wouldn't.
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:15 PM
Is there an air bag? The only way I'd consider it is if there's no air bag or it can be turned off.
Here its legal if there's no available back seat but idk about there
whatssleep
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:45 PM
Thank you everyone in just going to see if my dad will stop and watch him while I run quick.
a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:34 AM
Does the airbag turn off?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)