Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need advice but not mom related

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:18 PM
  • 8 Replies
My sis asked my dh to work on her car. She needed an oil change, and gaskets replaced. Well he test drove it today to wear he's working, which is maybe a mile from our house. It did fine on the way there, but on the way home the motor shut off and when he went to start it back up, it's now making a knocking noise like it thru a rod. He checked the oil and checked under the car and none had leaked out. I feel terrible that this has happened, but I have a feeling she's going to blame dh for it breaking down. Are we entitled to fix the problem even though what dh did was not the cause of it breaking down?
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
hismommy2010
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Truth is, it would have happend no matter who drove it... If she had taken it to a shop they may not have drove it because they may have thought about this happening? Anyways it was bond to happen, just happend to be your husband driving
yroder2003
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:24 PM
Thanks. Dh is thinking the age and miles might have been the cause, but not for certain. It's a 2000, so 14 yrs old, and has 190,000 miles on it.

Quoting hismommy2010: Truth is, it would have happend no matter who drove it... If she had taken it to a shop they may not have drove it because they may have thought about this happening? Anyways it was bond to happen, just happend to be your husband driving
hismommy2010
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:26 PM
Doesnt matter the year. Once it hits 100,000 shit goes down hill. I come from a long family of racers & mechanics.

Quoting yroder2003: Thanks. Dh is thinking the age and miles might have been the cause, but not for certain. It's a 2000, so 14 yrs old, and has 190,000 miles on it.

Quoting hismommy2010: Truth is, it would have happend no matter who drove it... If she had taken it to a shop they may not have drove it because they may have thought about this happening? Anyways it was bond to happen, just happend to be your husband driving
yroder2003
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:12 PM
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

Quoting hismommy2010: Doesnt matter the year. Once it hits 100,000 shit goes down hill. I come from a long family of racers & mechanics.

Quoting yroder2003: Thanks. Dh is thinking the age and miles might have been the cause, but not for certain. It's a 2000, so 14 yrs old, and has 190,000 miles on it.

MusherMaggie
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:14 PM
Is it a Ford? They're notorious for that.
yroder2003
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:43 PM
It's a Toyota. Dh has been looking at it, and he thinks the timing is off and the timing belt needs to be replaced.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Is it a Ford? They're notorious for that.
Mums.the.word
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I did this to one of my previous cars, there is no stopping it.  When it happened to me, I drove it to my mechanic, not recommended but the engine was already ruined.  I would have been upset if someone else was driving the car when it happened, but I would have known that it was not their fault.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

It would have happen anyways.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)