Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

BreastFeeding & Work

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:58 PM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this
I am returning back to work after 5mo. Post baby. I breastfeed and also have introduced baby food. Here and there.
My question is what pumping schedule is good? How many times to pump a day? What kind of stock pile should I have?
I return in one week so I have some time to stockpile. Idk his eating schedule anymore... he is always on the boob it seems so I don't pay attention to clock anymore... i tell you that if feeding schedule helps give advice on pumping.
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Aug. 14, 2014 at 11:18 PM

http://kellymom.com/category/bf/pumpingmoms/

Here you go!  All the info you need and please join the breastfeeding group.  

Jade_Lynn
by New Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Ty :)

Quoting Mom2Just1:

http://kellymom.com/category/bf/pumpingmoms/

Here you go!  All the info you need and please join the breastfeeding group.  

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:59 AM

At my 8 hour job, I pump 2x for minutes but I have a double electric pump.  I used FENUGREEK to increase my supply and always had about 40 oz in the freezer.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:32 AM

I would check kellymom too. Also breastfeeding moms here.  :)

I imagine a couple times is good, since pumps are never as effecient as baby. Just let him be on the boob when you are around.  GL.  :)

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:38 AM
Start pumping once every morning now, and then add in a session every two to three hours at work.
You only need a stock pile of 1-1.25 ounces per hour you're gone, but pumping once every morning will help you develop a good pump response and make sure you can continue to pump enough on a daily basis for the next day.
I have warm oatmeal cookies/muffins for a snack when I wake up and it helps to give me a boost for my morning pumping sessions, when I have the time to sit and pump for twenty minutes. At work I can only pump for ten to fifteen minutes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jade_Lynn
by New Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:29 AM
Ty ladies. I have joined bf moms as well as read kellymom. Good information.
veggiemom474
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:27 PM

At 6 weeks, I went back to work. I pumped 3 times a day for an entire year. She nursed whenever she wanted when I was home.

Karmahappens
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 4:17 AM

If you need more breastmilk than you can get by pumping at work-try pumping on one side during  an earlier feeding.

And a double electric pump is a must IMO. I was able to pump for my son for almost 2 years.

I responded very well to the pump and could get a whopping 20 ounces a session pumping once every 5 hours.

I did use a hospital grade pump which I purchased and re-sold-so my only expense was shipping and the new tubing and flanges.  I had a ginormous stash too. It got lost when my freezer broke.

illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 9:14 AM

My work schedule is typically 7-5, and I would nurse before going to work, pump at 10, pump at 2, and nurse immediately when I got home. Some days, I was able to take a long lunch and would go home to nurse my son.

I stopped pumping when my son hit 1 year, but we're still nursing when we're together.

JC2223
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 4:23 PM

My DD was unable to latch properly, so at 3 weeks old I had to switch to exclusively pumping to feed. I did that for 15 months. It's very doable and if done correctly it can be just as effective as nursing. Get a dual pump, I recommend Medela. You'll want to pump for 10-15 minutes every 4-5 hours. That should give you a good idea of how much you should pump during your work day. Make sure you do lots of deep breast massage during your pump session, this helps release the hind milk and to fully empty your breasts. You should have a 2-3 day supply ready in your freezer. For me, at the height of DD's feeding in ounces, I needed to have at least 42oz per day. That wasn't a problem because I was pumping 55-65 oz a day. If your milk supply seems to slow down, you can increase nursing or pumping sessions, drink plenty of fluids, or use supplements to help increase supply. The only one that really worked for me was Non-alcoholic beer. I would drink 1-2 a day, increase my pumping times to 20-25 minutes and do 2-3 extra sessions a day and my supply would be over flowing withing 1-3 days. Feel free to PM me if you need any further help or advice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN