Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Hamster Or Guinea Pigs?

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 6:42 AM
  • 45 Replies

Poll

Question: Hamsters or Guinea Pigs?

Options:

Guinea Pigs

Hamsters

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 39

View Results

Me And My Family Went To a Pet shop And My 11 Year Old Daughter Lucy Wants A Pet But She Can't Choose Either Guinea Pigs or Hamsters Pls Help!

by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 6:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChristinaR
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 6:45 AM

guinea pig, they are soo easy to take care of, easy to feed , and cage is easy to clean plus , they loved to be help, hamsters , not so much....  we have 2, snickers and stripes

cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 6:47 AM
Neither. They both stink if you change through bedding every 2-3 days. They are unsanitary (pee poop where they eat sleep and play) they are mean as shit.
harmony7
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I have had both and guinea pigs if kept in a proper cage are very nice pets, the learn your voice and will call to you. The enjoy time with you and dont tend to bite. They do have the draw backs, they dont do well alone so you really must get two of them...make sure you do NOT get a male and a female, You can lay them on their backs if young and press in their lower belly and it will pop out if male.....they breed EVERY five months starting at 5 months old. They do have to be cleaned often or they can REALLY stink. They Must have vitamin C daily but that can be given in the form of fresh fruits and veggies.

Hamsters are loners and do better by themselves, they only get together to breed and then the part ways. They also do well with some fresh fruit or veggie every day or two but NEVER more than they will eat at one time since they hoard food and it will go rancid. They do smell horrid if not kept clean but the good think with a hamster is it will only use the bathroom in one spot in its cage, they are crazy clean about themselves. They are nocturnal so they are Not active during the day and can bite if disturbed if they want to sleep. They are Much more nippy than pigs are and since they are loners they are not as happy to hang with you and dont seem to have as much personality in ways pigs do.

Either way the younger the animal the easier to tame and make a better pet. Pigs can live past 5 years old with good care, Hampsters are old at 2 years old so a very short lived pet.

Have fun both are delightful friends.

Pam in Alabama
A Mom to nine sons and one daughter with five still at home
funhappymom
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:32 AM

I'd get a guinea pig over a hamster. They live longer and seem to be easier to get along with.

my4kids274
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:33 AM

Neither for us. 

BUMP!

PeachQuean
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:38 AM
I had both growing up and both are a pain in the ass.

We decided on fish and a lizard. Lol (going to be for Christmas) the lizard. We already have the fish tho. Lol
Bresmom13
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Guinea pigs are less of a bitter, Ive had both and actually prefer my ferret over both of those. If trained properly they can make great pets and your child can teach it to walk on leash outdoors. I used to let mine roam the house and he would go back to the cage to potty.

rachellaree20
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Even though I'm very allergic to guinea pigs, I've always liked them better as pets than hamsters.  They're usually a lot nicer, rarely bite, live a lot longer and if they get loose somehow, they're a LOT easier to find!   We had a hamster get loose once and we couldn't find it for months so we figured it had died when lo and behold we discovered him living in our piano and eating crumbs from the kitchen.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Guineas. 

We have two. They live in the garage because of the smell but are so loved.

Sturdier, talk to you, cuddly, and SLEEP AT NIGHT. 

Do not get a nocturnal animal with a squeaky wheel lol.

casah4
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:07 PM

We've had hamsters. They've all been really sweet attention hogs. The only problem is that they don't live very long, so you have to go through the death process frequently (if you keep getting more, of course.) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN