Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Son Doesn't Brush His Teeth

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 4:34 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have 3 kids, ages 7 (boy), 9 (girl), and 11 (boy).  My oldest son never brushes his teeth!  It is so disgusting.  My other 2 "forget" on the weekends or whenever their routine is messed up because one will use the bathroom in the morning while the other gets dressed and then they switch.

My oldest does the SAME things every morning regardless of the day of the week.  He gets up and showers.  We have told him to brush his teeth while he waits for the shower to heat up.  We have reminded him in the mornings and at night before bed and he will either 1) lie (!) or 2) do ti so fast and so sloppy.  I have tried standing in the bathroom with him while he is brushing (and, incidently, the toothbrush comes out bloody because of the lack of brushing).  We've tried taking away his electronics.  This is not a new thing because for the last several dentist visits, the dentist has talked to him about his oral hygene.

Before you say anything, both my husband and I have wonderful brushing habits.  I actually brush my teeth in the mornings, at night, and after meals (I had braces and that habit just kinda stuck).  My husband brushes every morning and at night (and after meals where he might have food stuck in his teeth).

We believe in natural consequences but those consequences are 1) him losing his teeth or 2) losing his friends because his breath is DISGUSTING. 

What are some things YOU can think of?  The kid is 11 and SHOULD know better!

by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Aug. 15, 2014 at 4:37 PM

I also recommend brushing while waiting for the water to warm up, it uses water that might also go down the drain. Maybe talking to someone who either has bad teeth or even wears a plate or denture or bridge might bring him to his senses- have them remove the denture so he can see what he is headed to.

anotherandree
by Inga on Aug. 15, 2014 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

That's a good idea!  My husband's mother wears dentures so they could Skype!

Quoting Bmat:

I also recommend brushing while waiting for the water to warm up, it uses water that might also go down the drain. Maybe talking to someone who either has bad teeth or even wears a plate or denture or bridge might bring him to his senses- have them remove the denture so he can see what he is headed to.

-42-
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 4:41 PM
Mine would brush, but do a half ass job.

I told him if he ever wanted any hope of landing a gf and ever kissing a girl, he had better do a better job. lol
anotherandree
by Inga on Aug. 15, 2014 at 4:43 PM

LOL!  Unfortunately, my son is VERY against girls (in anything other than friendship) and so that does nothing.  We've tried and are afraid that has made him LESS LIKELY to brush! :)

Quoting -42-: Mine would brush, but do a half ass job. I told him if he ever wanted any hope of landing a gf and ever kissing a girl, he had better do a better job. lol

-PB
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Honestly, I would use fear tactics.  Show him pictures of rotten teeth and procedures that people have to go through to repair bad teeth such as gum disease treatments, tooth removal, and implant surgery.  Be sure to tell him that even if he chose not to get the proceedures to fix his rotten teeth, teeth hurt while they are rotting.  But I'm a mean mama.  You could brush for him but I suppose that seams silly at his age.

VinVanMom
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:01 PM
I bring up drills and shots..
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:02 PM
I bring up cavities and have shown pictures. I will stand there and observe if it is an issue
anotherandree
by Inga on Aug. 16, 2014 at 1:18 AM

Yep, it's time for the pictures!  I talked to him about how he did not brush his teeth before school and just discovered that he didn't do it before bed, either.  He's 11 for Pete's Sake!  You would think I would not have to stand over him but, apparently, hygene is not high on his priority list! 

Quoting a_and_j_momma: I bring up cavities and have shown pictures. I will stand there and observe if it is an issue

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 1:47 AM
I think it is an age thing. My son is 12 lol. He is way better this year than last

Quoting anotherandree:

Yep, it's time for the pictures!  I talked to him about how he did not brush his teeth before school and just discovered that he didn't do it before bed, either.  He's 11 for Pete's Sake!  You would think I would not have to stand over him but, apparently, hygene is not high on his priority list! 

Quoting a_and_j_momma: I bring up cavities and have shown pictures. I will stand there and observe if it is an issue

Karmahappens
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 4:13 AM

My son is 11 and doesn't brush unless I force it. Damned if the kid has NEVER had a cavity! We do have disclosing tablets I force him to use periodically (usually on the way to somewhere fun-like 6 Flags or the beach)

He has to brush till all of the red is gone-that helps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)