Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

can not afford to pay rent: need a place to go, which is better Shelter or Motel?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:35 AM
  • 17 Replies
I lost my job a month ago, I have my last check which is only $200 because my hours were cut. The Landlord have been knocking on the door for rent which is $400, I told him my situation and now every week hes asking me "When are you moving? Hes already given me a two week notice. I have one child, Ive been looking for a place to go. I have one family member I asked they and turned me away. So far the only option I have is: A Shelter or A Motel. Which is better? Which is worse?
by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

HUGS mama. I would guess shelter. That $200 wont last long.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Check on a motel. Get the weekly rates. Ask if you can do housekeeping, front desk, etc to pay the rates. Get it in writing. If they cannot do that I would go to a shelter. But I thought eviction notices had to be at least 30 days? Check on that.

anotherandree
by Inga on Aug. 17, 2014 at 11:01 AM
I also thought that eviction notices were 30 days. Also, he can't legally harass you. You might want to look into a "cease and desist" order.

Quoting SexyTeacher:

Check on a motel. Get the weekly rates. Ask if you can do housekeeping, front desk, etc to pay the rates. Get it in writing. If they cannot do that I would go to a shelter. But I thought eviction notices had to be at least 30 days? Check on that.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 11:04 AM

I say a shelter.  Money won't last at all in a hotel.  Have you looked for jobs yet?  Anything is better than nothing. 

cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Shelter or call your local social services office. They can help you with a place to live and a job
-PB
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Even at a dirt cheap hotel $200 won't last a week.  I'd go to a shelter and save the money for food.

Courtney610
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 3:26 PM
I'd look into a shelter. That $200 will go quick in a motel.

DisabledVet
by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Have yuo checked with Salvation Army, DSS, United Way and other organizations? They may be able to help. Also apply for food stamps and welfare. Are you gettting unemployment? There are options. The problem with using a motel is your money is goign to get eaten up really quickly.

DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 3:42 PM
First I would apply for emergency rental assistance. Places like Salvation Army and United Way. I would also apply for emergency cash assistance and food stamps. I would call around and find a women's shelter

Good luck
harmony7
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Also contact your local Community Action Agency and Catholic Charities

Also as a land lord at least in my state, I have to give a 30 day notice in writing and then file w/ court and you get another 30 days before any action is taken.

Pam in Alabama
A Mom to nine sons and one daughter with five still at home
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)