Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

breastfeeding help

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 11:20 PM
  • 10 Replies
My 6 week old seems to be feeding a lot more then normal and seems to spit up half of what he consumes. After every feeding he only last about 20 minutes at the most then wants the boob again. I gave him formula a few times because I don't produce enough to feed him that much it seems and he did great. Should I switch him to formula or keep tryong with breast milk?
by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 1:19 AM

FENUGREEK may help to increase your milk supply.  he is feeding often because as you mentioned. he may not be getting as much as he wants.  I would give fenugreek a try and make sure you are drinking lots of water before switching to formula.  He is getting your antibodies from your breastmilk and though formula may provide the vitamins and nutrients necessary, it does not provide the antibodies to help boost his immune system.  Good luck!  (fenugreek can be purchased over the counter at vitaminshoppe, GNC, etc.)

Mrs.Urquhart
by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 1:24 AM
2 moms liked this
This is normal. Don't supplement. He's feeding to increase your supply to meet his own needs. This will happen every two months, on average, for the first year. Feed on demand, and your body will rise to the occasion.

Good luck. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 1:31 AM
This is normal behavior. He's trying to help regulate your supply... In the beginning there's an over abundance, and around this time it starts to regulate so they nurse more to keep your supply up. If you replace nursing with formula, you're telling your body to make LESS milk so that needs to end. It will last probably two weeks maybe three and then he will calm down.
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 1:33 AM
The way to know if he's getting enough is by diaper output only, so long as he's making enough diapers he's getting enough.
guppysown
by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 1:37 AM

Six weeks is a natural growth spurt.  Changing positions might prevent some spitting up.  What are the signs he's giving you that he wants the boob? Is he gaining weight alright? Babies like to nurse just for comfort also, so he might not necessarily be hungry.  

anotherandree
by Inga on Aug. 18, 2014 at 1:38 AM
6 was is usually the first growth spurt when he'll be eating like crazy. It only lasts about a week but the only way to keep up with the demand is to keep giving him the boob. GL!
SpringMommy07
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 1:49 AM
Thanks ladies :-) it's been 6 and a half years since I've breastfed so it's all pretty new again. I don't remember how it all works lol. I'm gonna try to keep him breastfeeding :-)
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:31 AM

6 weeks is a growth spurt. Only wayt o judge supply is diaper count. If he is going through 6 in 24 hours your supply is fine and no reason for formula.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this
He doesn't need the formula. You're actually overproducing. If he is going through a minimum of 6-8 diapers in 24 hours with at least two quarter sized poops, he's fine. He is so in a growth spurt and needs to nurse whenever he wants, even if it's every 30 minutes. This is how he regulates your supply. Continued use of formula will decrease your supply. Come over to the Breastfeeding Moms group for more information and support.
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Aug. 19, 2014 at 12:43 AM

This.  :)

Quoting Mrs.Urquhart: This is normal. Don't supplement. He's feeding to increase your supply to meet his own needs. This will happen every two months, on average, for the first year. Feed on demand, and your body will rise to the occasion. Good luck. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN