Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Help with starting potty training!

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 10:44 AM
  • 12 Replies
Now I'm not sure if my son is ready yet or not, he will be two December 31st and still doesn't understand the concept of the bathroom yet. I've tried multiple times by siting him on his potty with his diaper still on when I think he is trying to poop or something but he never actually does it and then he gets distracted and just wants to play with everything! He is my first and I'm still new at it all so what are the best ways to start encouraging potty time?? I'm not trying to teach him to pee standing up yet so I'm just asking for beginners basics haha. Plz and thank you!!
by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I would just let him watch you and DH in the bathroom. When he is ready he will start showing intrest. Don't try to push it before then or it will make things a lot harder. 

bec94
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't know about training boys, but both my girls trained at 3. They decided ( with some encouragement) and because of that they trained within 5 days, with no nighttime, nap time, or out running errands accidents. I tried training my oldest at 2, and it was more stressful for me because she just didn't get it, and had no interest in getting it. I gave up because dd#2 was on her way and I didn't want her to regress.

Pull-ups were a waste for training. They did come in handy though over the underwear. It gave me piece of mind when we were out 'just in case' we couldn't make it to the bathroom in time.

Good luck. When they get it, they get it. Now when dd didn't want to go, I'd tell her her pee was going to be green/blue/pink.....any color but yellow. Kids love to prove you wrong:-)
jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Not even 2 is pretty young. Especially for a boy.  Boys typically train later.  And it doesn't sound like he is anywhere near ready.  You will know when he is ready.  There are signs.  He will actually get what a potty is for, take his diaper off, tell you when he's dirty, he'll go somewhere "private" (like, under the table, LOL) to do his business.  Don't push it, which it sounds like you're trying to do even though it's unintentional.  Honestly, at this point, I would put away any potty you have for him.  If he isn't interested, it will become a toy to him and have to opposite affect.

Scarpetta71
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 12:49 PM

I think he is a little young yet, I agree with the above poster when she said put away the potty otherwise it will just become an object of no use to him or a toy.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you should wait until he is really ready to do it. He isn't even 2 yet, that is really young. 

We use child led potty training. We give them everything they need (a potty chair, underwear, dvd about potty training) and then we let them tell us when they are ready. 

My DS was 2 1/2 and my DD was 3 1/2. Every child does it on their own schedule and it is important to make sure they know that they have complete control over their body.

MusherMaggie
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 2:24 PM
I agree with the other comments. Let him see you and dad use the bathroom, but don't try to make him do it yet.
ldmrmom
by New Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

He doesn't sound like he's ready yet. Diapers suck. Btdt. Was so happy to be beyond it. However, the only thing starting before he's *ready* accomplishes is a prolonged training process. You have a potty chair or seat. He knows it's there. Let him play w/ it when he wants to. When he's ready to get more serious, you'll know. It's been a long time since we've done this (my youngest is 10 in a couple of weeks)  but if I recall a few signs are:

- Does he fuss when his diaper is wet or messy more than he used to? Both of mine would be oblivous once they were mobile and active until they were about 2 and hit a point where it ticked them off not to be clean.

- Is he giving you signs that he is about to go? (My oldest, now 12 and who would be mortified to know I was sharing this) would find a corner to hide in when he was about to have a bowel movement. He'd squat down (diaper on) and not come out until he was done. Then he'd ask to be changed.

- Can he pull his own pants up and down?

- Is he showing interest in the bathroom? Does he want to flush the toilet? Is he asking questions? Is he picking up 'bathroom language?"

He'll get there. Remember, toddlers don't necessarily have the nervous system maturity to recognize *when* they need to go until they are going. Even if he understood the potty seat/chair and the concept, it doens't mean he has the ability to anticipate need in time to make use of it. When he's ready, it'll happen.

My oldest was about 32 months old when he was done with diapers (day and night.) He dappled for a couple of months, toured the preschool he wanted to go to and decided it was worth ditching diapers to be able to attend at 3 that Sept. My daughter was motivated similarly (gave up diapers same day. My son was a few days later) and was about 28 months at the time.

Serenity7
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Potty training just takes time.

mericanbelle18
by New Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm trying to get mine to poop in the potty. She just turned 3. She'll tell me when she has to pee and she'll go in the toilet.. but the other day she told me she's scared to poop in the toilet because it will "splash" her. Lol! So I informed her that she couldn't go to school next year unless she pooped in the potty like a big girl and she proceeded to put her hands together as if she were praying, closed her eyes, and said "be brave be brave" in between dramatic deep breaths. 

Still no poop in the toilet. 

Kazmira222
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 10:40 AM
Thx everyone! This helps a lot! :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)