Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Kindergarten Teacher on Maternity Leave

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 12:54 PM
  • 10 Replies

Does anyone have experience with their child being in kindergarten and the teacher goes on maternity leave? If so, how did the school sub for the teacher and how did your child handle it?

by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 1:24 PM
I would think it would be a non issue if the sub is qualified.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 1:27 PM
My kindergarten teacher went on maternity leave (back in 19xx) and I handled it just fine. Nobody in my class, at least to memory, had any issues with having a sub. We were excited about our teacher having a baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Aug. 19, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Not Kindergarten, but when my son went into 1st grade, he had a sub for more than the first half of the year. They really liked the sub but also took to the regular teacher quite well.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Aug. 19, 2014 at 8:34 PM
My son's second grade teacher took leave from January to May. The kids were fine.
Adnalor
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 8:38 PM
I'm a teacher and we get to pick our subs. Our teachers usually pick retired teachers to do long term subbing, so it's not an issue.
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:38 AM
Non issue. In k our teacher had hip surgery.

Are you asking how to explain the baby or just deal with the absence?
blinker612
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 6:48 AM
This is a bit different, but it happened to me in 3rd grade.

They changed the laws on classroom size my 3rd gradebyear. The school didn't do anything about it until a few weeks into the year. The teacher read out a list of names, I was on it, and told us we were going to be in a different class for the rest of the year. We went out to the blacktop and met up with kids from the other 3rd grade classes that had been selected to make up the new class and they explained it to us.

We didn't have a classroom or a teacher. They put us in a make shift classroom (in the library) and we had A DIFFERENT TEACHER EVERY 2 WEEKS! It was horribly inconsistent. Sometimes the teachers would last a bit longer or a bit shorter. Sometimes we would have 3 teachers in a week. They just rotated subs.

By February we got a "long term" teacher. My grandma worked in the school library btw so she's got a better "adult" memory of this than I do. Out new teacher had a really thick Chinese accent and a lot of us had a hard time understanding her, so she was gone after about a month. They finally got us a teacher for the last few months if school and he was great! One of my favorite teachers ever.

Anyway, if they couldn't find us a teacher or a classroom for a whole damn school year I wouldn't expect them to put too much effort into it for a 3 month leave.

I'd talk to the school about it.
STVUstudent
by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 7:31 AM

seems like this is a hot topic this year... I wonder if there is some mad flood of kindergarten teachers getting ready to have a baby?

When I was in the 1st grade (yeah, I know, decades ago), our teacher left for some reason three weeks into the school year.  She was replaced by a substitute for about a month, and after that, we had a permanent teacher assigned.  At my kids' school, if a teacher is out for an extended period, they bring in someone new for the whole time, not a day-to-day substitute.

For kids who don't do change well, the teachers and parents can help by talking to the students about what is going on and what will be happening- "Sometime next month, I (Mrs. Smith) will be away for about six weeks.  I (She) is going to have a new baby.  Isn't that exciting?  How many of you have baby brothers or sisters? Do you think the new baby will be a boy or a girl?  Blah blah blah..."  then, when it is time for her to come back, do it in reverse... "Mrs. Smith will be coming back next week.  Isn't that exciting?  What do you think she has been doing all this time with the new baby?  She sent us a picture- isn't the baby cute? Blah blah blah..."  Most kids, even ones with some degrees of SN, can and will adapt if they are regularly told what is going on in a way they can understand.  If a kid is SO SN they cannot adapt to any change at all, well, how is THAT going to work out in the long run?  Live is an ever-evolving process... things CHANGE... whether we want them to or not... and we need to do what we can to help our little ones navigate those changes.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I think you are overthinking there may be an issue.  I doubt there will be. 

butzi
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 8:26 AM
When we lived in Missouri, I was the schools dedicated long term sub. When a teacher went on Maternity leave or had surgery, I was the person who would sub. I am a licensed teacher, who just didn't want to teach full time while my kids were home. It worked out nicely because I was there for the duration of the teacher's absence.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN