Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Bathroom makeover

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 1:39 AM
  • 8 Replies
Ok so my oh so wonderful in laws thought they were doing us a favor when they told us we can live with my hubs uncle in his late grandmas house so we can save money (rent here for a 2br is 1400... That's standard)
We jumped on it and said yes. His mom said "it needs a lil work and cleaning"
That was a understatement!
2 weeks until we move the whole house needs
Paint
FloorS
A new bathroom
Kitchen needs paint and cabinets redone
And the basement needs a complete gutting (mold and filth).
The home has 20 yrs worth of dust and grime (I'm looking up temp place to stay with dd if it isn't done in time)

Anyway
Advice
The bathroom has that ugly pastel pink sub tile with the pastel pink tub and toilet
We gotta rip out the tiles (mold and rot) And do new, the problem? The floor is new but it's a hideous pink/blue tile, I can't find a damn thing to match it. Do I stick with a mismatched bathroom or attempt to convince hub to replace the floor (which we don't have money for).

The fam didn't let us in because they were still going through possessions ... As we finally moved stuff out we saw how bad it really was but it's already too late we gotta leave our apartment. I'm not happy about this. As soon as we save for a down payment of a home were getting out
by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 1:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 1:47 AM
Why would you live there and fix it up if you get no profit?
rwcw89
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 1:49 AM
Were living there rent free which gives us an extra 1400 a month to put in the bank to save to move even after bills .

Quoting a_and_j_momma: Why would you live there and fix it up if you get no profit?
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 1:53 AM
How much are you budgeting for repairs?

Quoting rwcw89: Were living there rent free which gives us an extra 1400 a month to put in the bank to save to move even after bills .

Quoting a_and_j_momma: Why would you live there and fix it up if you get no profit?
rwcw89
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 1:58 AM
If no surprises pop up I'm estimating 5k or less (basements goig to be the sucky part it needs walls and floor. But were handy people hubby is a general contractor and we have handy friends , and what he doesn't know, I do. It's just time to get this crap done. Oh and we gotta fix the yard. No one maintained it so it's a mosquito jungle back there

Quoting a_and_j_momma: How much are you budgeting for repairs?

Quoting rwcw89: Were living there rent free which gives us an extra 1400 a month to put in the bank to save to move even after bills .

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 2:18 AM
I would just replace the tile and see if you can reglaze or stain the tub. Leave the floor if it doesn't need to be replaced since you won't get any $ back on it when they decide to sell. I would only spend money on the necessities
Bmat
by Barb on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Put in the bathroom fixtures and colors that you want,and put non-slip rugs over the ugly floor until you can afford to redo it.

FrozenEssence
by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Where do you live? I live in nj and we rent a house 3 bedrooms, big backyard for 1400
rwcw89
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:42 AM
Staten Island ny . Minimum 2br rent is 1250 with nothing included. 1400 2br includes heat and water . I know nj is cheaper but hubby job is here :-/ or else we'd move to pa. Once he gets more experience in were hopefully getting off this rock

Quoting FrozenEssence: Where do you live? I live in nj and we rent a house 3 bedrooms, big backyard for 1400
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)