Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Really ticked off atm. (School related) Edit

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 8:11 PM
  • 51 Replies

So my 12 yr old dd is in 7th grade at a new school.  The only option for kids there is baseketball or study hall.. She wanted to play bball.. We have never done any sport before so its all new to me.  Well we found out just tuesday she needed a physical to play.. Apparently to even be in that class.  They told her yesterday that she had till the end of the week to get it..  So I got her scheduled for one tomorrow morning at 815..

They kicked her out of the class and changed her schedule today, because of no physical.  So shes upset that 4 days into school, without even a chance she got kicked out of class and no chance to play bball. ( which the season doesnt even start till after foot ball so like decemeber before games!)   Im pissed off because 1. They said end of week, thats tommorrow not thursday and I have it scheduled, she would have had it before the class period.  2.  Even though they have 4 phone numbers and 2 email addresses ( mine and hubbys) the school made NO effort to contact me, and see if we were getting a physical or what.   3. I dont know wether to take her to get the physical becuase if she cant play, if they wont let it change back, that would be wasting 50 bucks to get the physical.  4.  When we registered 2 weeks ago, they did not say anything about a physical having to be done before school started or we would have gotten it done already.

Now before the bashers start saying " you should have Known to get a physical"    Sorry that I didnt magically know, with having never been envolved in any kind of sports myself or previously with the kids, to get one.  And to be honest if I had even thought about needing a physical to play bball.. I probably would have thought it needed to be done around when that sport was played..  Just really burns my buttons that she is being punished because I didnt know something ahead of time, and we have it set to be fixed, but they didnt give the time limit they said we had.   Cant protect kids from everything, and Ill use it as a " life isnt always fair" thing.. but I cant help being mad.   I will be calling the school first thing in the morning.. See if still need to get the physical

Goodness, seems like a lot of bickering and like my point was sort of lost a bit..lol

1. not complaining about the cost.  Although if she was kicked off and not allowed back on, then the money would be wasted.. She will get her annual well child check up after her birthday, its already scheduled for 1 yr and 1 day after her last one.. Which is what insurance requires.  Sports physical is different,.and  you only need it for playing a sport..  

2nd My complaint was not even that she had to have one..   It was that I was expected to know it without any experience in atheletics and no one bothered to tell me when she signed up (2 weeks ago btw) , and then she was being punished within 4 days of school starting by kicking her out of class/off the team before even having a chance.

3rd.  That she was told to have it by a certain time, I scheduled it.. and they kicked her before the deadline had passed.. Put it in perspective.. "Ok class you have a paper due on Friday, dont forget"   Thursday (day before its due) Teacher gives all the students who havent turned it in an F.     Kind of unfair dont you think?

BTW  School said only allowed one change... She will not be allowed to play basketball even with the physical..  It's not worth fighting the school over..  She is disapointed but luckily she wasnt a die hard athelete or something and it was the end of the world.. kwim.  Still sucks though that she was treated unfairly.  Anyway  you ladies have a good one =)

by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 8:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
themaurer7
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 8:35 PM
Yeah, they are being ridiculous.
blinker612
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this
That's stupid. Schools are dumb.

Anyway I wouldn't expect the school to contact you (either by phone or emails) for anything like this. They aren't great at communication.

I would get the physical done and then actually go into the school and talk to someone about it.
Like e when you drop her off after the physical tomorro morning.
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I would get her physical then fight for her to be put back in:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen291985
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Idk what to tell you. I get my dd a physical before school starts every year (2-3 weeks prior to school starting) even though she doesn't play sports (2nd grade) just as standard practice. Right now I do it as a way to keep up with her health but in the future it will be handy if she want's to play sports. Maybe start doing one  a year prior to school starting just in case?

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

The school should have given you information about the electives and requirements for the sports during the summer.  I would go to the principal and complain.   Get the physical done any way.  I'll bet the principal can intervene.  

Mom2Boys9501
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:30 AM
I would get her physical (they last a year from the date the doctor signs) and then fight to get her back in that class.
What grade is she in?
Does the school have other sports they offer?
kellly
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I would be pissed, that is ridiculous. Schools have turned into Nazi centers that think they can do whatever they want, they have forgotten who pays their wages....

Karmahappens
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you in the US? because under Federal law that physical should be entirely free.

saphiraka
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Quoting jen291985:

Idk what to tell you. I get my dd a physical before school starts every year (2-3 weeks prior to school starting) even though she doesn't play sports (2nd grade) just as standard practice. Right now I do it as a way to keep up with her health but in the future it will be handy if she want's to play sports. Maybe start doing one  a year prior to school starting just in case?

We have something similar  called a well child check up.. And it has to be done after each birthday and since she isnt due one till september that wouldnt help.  They dont classify that as a sports physical =( 

achorney
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:22 PM

My son had to get a physical to do marching band. 

You really didn't think you'd need one to do school sports? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN