Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Need some ideas or suggestions.

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:12 PM
  • 12 Replies
My little lady is 6 wks old. She will NOT take a pacifier. I have tried the Soothie, the one that is similar to the soothie (looks like a half circle) I have tried the NUK, she is uses the Tommee Tippee bottles so I thought I would get her the Paci's to match she won't take them. You give them to her and with some she'll suck a couple times and spit it out with others you put it in and she almost acts like she is gagging.

The thing is, she treats her bottle like a pacifier. She is 6wks old and we are up to 4-6 oz at a time. She was 7lbs 13oz at birth and weighed 9lbs 13oz on the 15. So she is healthy.

Any ideas on how to get her to take a pacifier, or do I keep letting her use her bottle as a pacifier.

by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
teri4lance
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:27 PM

shes probab;y jsut having a growth spurt. my kids never wanted a paci.

anotherandree
by Inga on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:31 PM

My kids would only use the non-bulb shaped ones.  You know, the ones that are slightly flat and turned up on one end?  They would spit any others out.  

I think you are right, though, that feeding her to soothe her is not good, either.  (If she is 6 wks she might be going through a growth spurt where she is eating and sleeping more.)

anotherandree
by Inga on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:32 PM

The Nuk brand!  But you already tried that, but look at what makes each on different and try to figure out what she wants.

Goodemote2
by New Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 12:46 AM
I've cared for several babies as well as my own two. My DS never took a paci and I have watched several babies that didn't too. I wouldn't let her use the bottle as a paci though as that could lead to tooth problems later. Does she try to use her hands in her mouth at all? Is she pretty content or a fussy baby?
brieri
by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 12:56 AM

Some babies don't like the paci.  I had one like that.  She was happy not having that thing in her mouth, and even greater she never sucked her thumb.  My other one found her thumb in a matter of months and she was so cute - but I would give her a paci and she liked it just as well - but it wasn't often.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 12:57 AM

My kid took to the pacifier the very first day.

FrozenEssence
by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 1:01 AM
If you can't get her to use a pacifier, take the top off the bottle and see if she sucks on that as a pacifier?
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:03 AM
Can I ask why you feel she needs one? I'm not knocking it. But, if she won't take it, I wouldn't worry much. What about the one the hospital gave you?
GirlWithANikon
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:06 AM

Poster has good intentions but dont do this. The child will want to keep doing it as it grows, like a paci habit, and might suck it right into the back of their mouth and block an air way.

Quoting FrozenEssence: If you can't get her to use a pacifier, take the top off the bottle and see if she sucks on that as a pacifier?

DeagonsMommy09
by Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 6:30 AM
I know she doesn't NEED one. But there are times when she is fussy and we fave fed, and changed, and burped and she still is not content. So we repeat the cycle in hopes we land on what her issue is. ☺
I just don't like the idea of her treating her bottle like a paci. Tonight was one of those nights where I could not figure out what was wrong. I laid her on my chest and patted her back thinking she was tired, didn't like that. She would fuss, changed her, burped her and nothing was calming her down. Made a fresh bottle laid her in my arms (like I was going to breast feed her) (I don't breast feed, I can't due to surgery) gave her a bottle she was out like a light. I look down she wasn't even sucking on it. She just had it in her mouth ☺ I caught her sucking on it off and on but not like if she was starving.

We do catch her sucking on her fist or knuckle when she is really Hungry and we are making a bottle. Its not something she does every time.

Quoting a_and_j_momma: Can I ask why you feel she needs one? I'm not knocking it. But, if she won't take it, I wouldn't worry much. What about the one the hospital gave you?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN