Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Gallbladder issues *update*update2*

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 5:13 PM
  • 40 Replies

So for about 5 years now (maybe a year after my oldest was born) I've had what I'm told is gallbladder problems. My mom has those issues, she said from what I explained it sounded like a gallbladder problem. My first "attack" was 5 years ago, it felt like someon shoving a spear through me right under my right rib cage. I had been eating a lot of little debbie snack cakes becaue I was a bored, depressed stay at home mom with a horrible married life (long story). After that first attack there would be random times that I'd throw up for no reason after eating. Though usually it was after a big meal or something greasy.

I on and off over the years have had this happen, also a lot of indigestion and nausea after eating and sometimes actually when I havent eaten for a long time. The last few weeks I've had a lot of pain in the same area, for a few days even I felt like there was a big mass right side under my rib cage and somewhat in the middle too. It was bad enough I didn't feel like I could take full deep breaths, and sometimes it sent a shooting pain. I finally called a doctor to have it looked at. They ran blood tests and did an ultrasound of the area.

The ultrasound showed a cyst on my gall bladder, but the doc said that probably wasn't the cause of pain. I had normal blood work and no gall stones. So now I get to go in for a HIDA scan to test function of the gallbladder. In the mean time (its not til next week) I am on an off brand Prilosec for heartburn. I have been having a LOT of indigestion, still a lot of heartburn some nights and pain. So it seems like nothing is helping. I kind of hope that the HIDA scan shows bad function just so I can get the gall bladder out...its been so bad lately. I just had some mashed potatoes with bacon bits and such, yes not really healthy but not too bad, and that is causing pain and indigestion. I never used to get anything bad from what I ate.

Any one else with these issues and did you have the HIDA scan and such? Did you get your gall bladder out? How was recovery? I've read it may take 7-10 days to heal, I hope more like 7 because I will have to close my grooming salon however long it takes...I have no one else to work for me. I also read that without a gall bladder some people have to practically run to the bathroom after meals, but honestly to get rid of the pain, fullness, indigestion, heartburn and everything, I'd rather that.

*UPDATE* I go my HIDA scan done today and the doctor called me a little bit ago. My gallbladder is at 34%functon, which is just below normal. There is still tha polyp on my gallbladder. She wants me to talk with a surgeon to see what he thinks. She's sending everything over there and we will consult and decide if it should come out or if there is something else we can do. I barely feel like eating any more, its uncomfortable and everything causes indigestion, even a small meal of healthy food. I don't know what else they can do really, not that I want the surgery but I feel like I just can't enjoy eating anymore. I mean I guess that might help with some weight loss but who wants to have indigestion and pain in their abdomen all the time? It is almost always there, sometimes a dull crampig pain, sometimes sharp, sometimes just a like a fist stuck under my rib cage. I just want it all to go away....

*2nd Update* Anyone that is still interested. So I have been waiting it to see if things would get better, especially after getting my Nexplanon birth control removed after thinking it might be part of my problem. I thought I was getting better, but last night I had a horrible gallbladder attack. I was feeling sick, I felt like someone was stabbing me in the gut and in the back, I couldn't sleep and nothing was helping it. Even today it is still uncomfortable but manageable. I hadnt been eating much and then ate a normal amount of food and that set it off. I feel like it just randomly actually works, like the bile is always just sitting in there and like its not flowing when it needs to, maybe can't contract, but that pain was awful. I will be talking with the doc again, I feel it will never get better and it needs to come out but I still have to time it run because I have to do it after I get someone else hired here. I need to be able to keep my grooming salon running if I"m going to be down a week or two.

by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 5:48 PM
Try eliminating both wheat and dairy from your diet. I know you said you don't have stones, but there probably is inflammation. You might want to Google "anti-inflammatory diet".
stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 5:55 PM

I rarely have wheat and I don't eat a lot of dairy either, if i do its with my cereal or a bit added to coffee, sometimes cottage cheese. Oddly enough I've been craving dairy lately, but I still don't consume that much. (and no way am I pregnant, I just crave foods sometimes) Thanks though.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Try eliminating both wheat and dairy from your diet. I know you said you don't have stones, but there probably is inflammation. You might want to Google "anti-inflammatory diet".

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 5:58 PM
To help your gallbladder eat only skinless boneless baked chicken and rice. That will get you to feeling better. I had mine out 5 yrs ago was up and about next day. I still have digestion issues but they can usually be controlled by eating clean. No processed crap.
stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 11:32 PM

I've tried fasting even, drinking a lot of water, eating better, but nothing helps, especially the last few days, any time i eat, even if its not much I start having that fullness and I can't even tell if I need to eat more, I get indigestion even from eating something small. The other day I made homemade chicken strips, just some seasoning on boneless skinless chicken, baked, and even that bothered me (yes I did have seasoning but still, I don't do spicy, just some onion powder, a bit of garlic, and pepper)

All day today since this morning, after two off brand Prilosec pills (one morning, one evening) I have a cramping pain in the gallbladder area, I have indigestion, and I haven't even eaten that much (just enough, not too much) It wasn't super healthy, but this morning was coffee and some toast, lunch was chicken strips (not greasy), some mashed potatoes, green beans and half  a roll. I didn't even eat dinner except for a bit of popcorn and lots of water.

Some days I just can't avoid fast food, I am so busy and tired, but its generally Jimmy Johns, roast beef, some cheese, cucumber, some onion, lettuce and tomato, nothing greasy, I even go light on the mayo. I can't always avoid processed stuff, again, busy, tired, I'm a single mom of 2 running a business and some days I only have energy to heat up some frozen corn dogs (though I honestly do usually cook, decent food). I know coffee bothers it a lot, but I need the caffiene and I love it, I only have one cup in the morning with a bit of creamer or the flavored insant coffees mixed in.

Half the time I don't eat lunch because I'm so busy, I eat ceral or something in the morning, then don't eat til dinner time, I know that's generally not good for me, but I feel mostly fine when I have nothing in my stomach and the only stuff I can really bring for lunches if there is no leftovers from dinner, are frozen burritos and things like that.

I still feel kind of bloaty even though I really haven't eaten since about 1:30 this afternoon (aside from some popcorn and water) I'm hoping when I get my Nexplanon birth control removed Monday, it may help things some, I've read it can cause gallbladder problems, I'm getting it removed because I don't need it now and I want to lose the 20lbs it gave me. Thanks for your help

Quoting erinsmom1964: To help your gallbladder eat only skinless boneless baked chicken and rice. That will get you to feeling better. I had mine out 5 yrs ago was up and about next day. I still have digestion issues but they can usually be controlled by eating clean. No processed crap.

kellly
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 9:17 AM

I do have gall bladder issues from time to time. I am not a fan of removing my gall bladder since it leaves a constant drip of bile into your stomach and a lot of people have digestive issues with that (some don't though). Anyway I do a liver flush every couple of years, it is gross but it expells the fatty and liver stones from the liver (your liver is what makes the bile for your gall bladder and if it is all junked up with stones it can't make bile).  Google liver flush and find one that suits you, it is nasty and will leave you ill for the next day (nauseated) but it works. Also go to riteaid or health food store and buy some digestive enzymes, take them when you eat something fatty, it will help you break down the fat.  Lastly if you are having heartburn, and I know this is going to sound stupid, but it also works.  Drink 1 ounce of apple cider vinegar with 3-4 ounces of water.  Apple cider vinegar acutally ph balances the stomach, yes it is acidic but it turns alkaline when you ingest it, if you can't tolerate that then squeeze a fresh lemon into a glass and mix with a couple ounces of water, but the vinegar works best.  Good luck

MusherMaggie
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 9:59 AM
I think you need a complete upper and lower GI study, and some bloodwork before committing to a cholysysectomy. As a previous poster mentioned, removing the gall bladder leaves a steady drip of bile into your stomach. This can predispose you to stomach cancer.
stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:31 PM

I already had an ultrasound of my abdomen and am getting the HIDA scan on Wednesday to test gallbladder function. They already did bloodwork and it showed nothing. They will only removed the gallbladder if it shows that it isn't functioning right. If its not functioning right, of course it will have to come out.

Quoting MusherMaggie: I think you need a complete upper and lower GI study, and some bloodwork before committing to a cholysysectomy. As a previous poster mentioned, removing the gall bladder leaves a steady drip of bile into your stomach. This can predispose you to stomach cancer.

booaura
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:35 PM
I never had gall bladder issues until this pregnancy, and it got very bad quickly. I had it out at 15 weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:36 PM

I already have digestive issues. I will look into the liver flush though. I had been taking raspberry keytones which is supposed to absorb fat, but it doesn't seem to help. I wouldn't be able to stand taking apple cider vinegar, eww, I think it would make me naseous just to taste that. The off brand prilosec seems to help some with the heartburn. It's also not just fatty stuff that bothers me, it sometimes seems random so all I can do is avoid known triggers and hope that helps. Some I can't avoid, I need my coffee in the morning or I can't function plus I love it, the prilosec seems to help a lot if I take it before though.

Quoting kellly:

I do have gall bladder issues from time to time. I am not a fan of removing my gall bladder since it leaves a constant drip of bile into your stomach and a lot of people have digestive issues with that (some don't though). Anyway I do a liver flush every couple of years, it is gross but it expells the fatty and liver stones from the liver (your liver is what makes the bile for your gall bladder and if it is all junked up with stones it can't make bile).  Google liver flush and find one that suits you, it is nasty and will leave you ill for the next day (nauseated) but it works. Also go to riteaid or health food store and buy some digestive enzymes, take them when you eat something fatty, it will help you break down the fat.  Lastly if you are having heartburn, and I know this is going to sound stupid, but it also works.  Drink 1 ounce of apple cider vinegar with 3-4 ounces of water.  Apple cider vinegar acutally ph balances the stomach, yes it is acidic but it turns alkaline when you ingest it, if you can't tolerate that then squeeze a fresh lemon into a glass and mix with a couple ounces of water, but the vinegar works best.  Good luck

stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't be suprised if my two pregnancies contributed somehow, also birth control can hurt the gall bladder. I just want to get it figured out so I can be done with this pain and uncomfortable feeling in my gut. How was recovery? How quick and can you lift things and such after the surgery?

Quoting booaura: I never had gall bladder issues until this pregnancy, and it got very bad quickly. I had it out at 15 weeks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)