Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Whether to get this dog or not

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 7:57 AM
  • 28 Replies

My husband, 3 kids, and I went to the Humane Society to adopt a dog. We found one that we like and she is a lab mix that is 4 1/2 years old. She is sweet but is pretty strong. Everyone loved her but my concern is that she has not "grown" up with us if that makes any sense. I'm wondering if she would be nearly as protective over us as a dog would if they were with us since they were a puppy. I don't know if that makes any sense or not, but I'm just a little uneasy. The dog really is sweet, but I am just a little uneasy about the age since she has had 4 years without my kids around. She did great around them and everything. Any advice on this?

by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 7:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Courtney610
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:00 AM
5 moms liked this
Most dogs at rescues and shelters just want to be loved. They quickly become protective of their new families because they are so happy to feel loved.

goldpandora
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:02 AM

It's been my (second-hand) experience that dogs that are rescued generally show great gratitude to their owners if they are taken good care of. How old are your children?

brittany0717
by New Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:23 AM

They are 6, 3, and 9 months old. We have a dog now and we are going to bring her into the other dog to see how they do together. Our dog we have right now is great with the kids and vice versa. I take it I'm just being a little paranoid! lol.....and the worker there told me that if she thought for even a second that this wouldn't be suitabel for the kids then she wouldn't be letting us fill out the application. So I take it I'm just being paranoid.

JAJohansson
by New Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:29 AM

I would not say you are being paranoid, but yes I understand your concern towards the new dog. I would suggest you let your own dog and the new one come into contact before taking any decision. From what I know of elder dogs, they take time to adjust wth any other dog, with humans they are always very friendly. See how the two of them get along, then you can decide. Hope this helps.

Courtney610
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Not paranoid, you just have concerns because this is new to you. That's totally normal. I hope this works out for your family!
harmony7
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Labs are pretty easy going and often do well in a multi dog family. I love older dogs. I can start training right away. I find them easy to transition to a new home and very responsive...much more so than a puppy.

As with Any dog ....pup or older the rules need to be in place from the get go. The current family dog may do fine on a meet and greet but over time or right away the dogs Will want to establish this is my house and you can get over it and sort out who is alpha...I dont allow any of my 8 dogs to even give dirty looks to one another so you will need to establish that the humans are the leaders and the dogs can behave themselves and stay on top of it at first with quick corrections. If the other dog is a male this transition will be easier. ... I find that male dogs will and do get along better than two females.

Pam in Alabama
A Mom to nine sons and one daughter with five still at home
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:00 AM

So true!

Quoting Courtney610: Most dogs at rescues and shelters just want to be loved. They quickly become protective of their new families because they are so happy to feel loved.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

EponineVader
by New Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 10:42 AM

My dad has a lab, he is the best pillow in town!!  But he has been around since he was a pup and known my kids since they were young, but he LOVES all kids, like every kid he meets he wants to best buddies with.

I also have a rescue boxer/lab/something giant and brown.....He LOVES the kids and is super protective if us. He will bark like a maniac at anyone coming close to the house. But once you let the person in he just goes and lays back on his couch. He even lets my Nephew sit on him

stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:29 PM

I'm sure she will quickly become protective :) most dogs that are  the protective type don't need to be raised by you to be protective, once they feel like part of the family, they generally become protective. Labs are generally sweet, but they take a long time to settle down, as in they act like puppies for a long time. I would just make sure she isn't going to run over any kids that are little enough to be knocked over. But that is the same for all dogs that are big and hyper. At 4 1/2 she should be mostly settled down, but again labs are one breed I find (as a dog groomer) take a long time to become calm. Good luck and that is awesome that you are adopting!

luvemboth
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Labs are generally great with kids (although not extremely protective if that's what you're looking for...just friendly & gentle). If she seems good with them already, I bet she'll be attached to them in no time :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN